Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
country

DUTCH - one point hitch question and drawings

country
I am getting ready to build one of these, and wanted to point out a dimension issue on your OEM specs. The 6.5" dimension and the 7" dimension reference the same width. I assume the 6.5" dimension should have been for the inside of the rails, and 7" for the outside, to match the 1/4" thickness. Also, what is the wall thickness of the 3-3/8" long by 5/8" ID tube? Is this wall thickness critical to locate the center of the tube to the end of the hitch? I have also attached a detail drawing created from the attached 3D drawing. Please review and let me know if I have the dimensions and thicknesses correct. Also, I am choosing to make the tube from rectanguler stock for ease of welding to the flat pieces.

thedaddycat
Looks to me like the 7.00" dimension at the top goes to the outside width while the 6.500" dimension at the bottom goes to the inside width, accounting for the 1/4" thickness of the flat stock...... Is that your drawing or Dutch's?

country
That's the drawing I made from Dutcht's. I actually made a solid model of the part, and then made the drawing from the model. It's a little cluttered due to stuffing all of the dimensions on one page without the additional side view. But, I also wanted the part large enough to see in the JPEG view. It should be the same except that I am switching the round tube to rectanguler stock just for my ease of making the hitch. Does the wall thickness of the tube matter? Is the centerline of the tube (the 0.625" hole) a critical dimension to the back of the hitch for mounting attachments?

Stoneheartfarm
quote:
Originally posted by country
It should be the same except that I am switching the round tube to rectanguler stock just for my ease of making the hitch. Does the wall thickness of the tube matter? Is the centerline of the tube (the 0.625" hole) a critical dimension to the back of the hitch for mounting attachments?
Just guessing here, but I wouldn't think it would be super critical, since if I understand it correctly, the two bolts are used for adjusting tension on the implement. Which means that when attached, there must be some slop that has to be drawn out. Are you using premanufactured rectangular stock, or are you fabricating a piece of stock? I like the looks of the rectangular stock, but I think fabricating the piece would be above the ability of my meager shop. Steve

country
I have an update. I found a piece of 1" OD tube, 3/16" wall, giving the proper 5/8" ID. I became gutsy and used it instead of the square tube. So far, it is looking good. I have the tube welded, and everything else tacked. I have changed the model and drawing accordingly, so this is now what I have.

I have made all of the parts out of 1/4" x 2" and 5/16" x 2" stock. Nothing is bent or fabricated, just cut and finished to length and of course some pieces have some holes drilled in them.

country
OK, I became gutsy, and used some round tube I found. I have attached the new drawing to reflect this change. Please also note in the previous drawings I forgot to add in the hole in the middle to use as the lift point.