Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 & 220 New Pics and info

Vic

The owner of this tractor, Larry Karg followed up with me on this project and I thought you'd be interested in seeing and hearing about it firsthand. These are sharp! Vic

My Dream Miniature Tractor by Larry Karg For many years I have been going to shows all over the country. Every now and then I would see a ¼, ½, or 1/3 scale tractor at a show and I enjoyed looking at them regardless of the brand they were. A few years back at the Albert City, Iowa show, the one that Charles Widlund organized, I saw a 720 A-C garden tractor remodeled to imitate a Case Magnum tractor. The exhibitor did a very nice job although it was a shame to see an orange tractor painted red. I thought about the site of that tractor for a long time. A few years back I purchased a 220 FWA. When I completed the restoration I had it sitting in the yard one day and also had our 720 lawn tractor sitting there. As I looked across the yard it hit me like a bolt of lightning. How about using a 720 to do a miniature version of the 220 FWA. Hence the project was started. About two years ago I found a basket case 720 in Windom, Minnesota. That was the first step. The tractor was taken home and completely stripped. I already knew I would never use the engine again. Off and on over the month the planning began. With the help of a very, very special friend I was able to procure a new Briggs and Stratton/Daihatsu 3 cylinder, 26hp diesel engine. After getting the engine home the heavy duty planning began. When I purchased the engine I really didn’t know how it would fit. I just knew I would do what was necessary to make it fit. After much consideration it was decided to make it a “for fun” tractor and it would no longer be able to mow lawn or blow snow. The partial reason for this is it was almost impossible to have a radiator in front and still keep the electric clutch for the mower. Something had to be sacrificed so the construction began. I took my Plasma cutter and cut the 720 in half about in the middle of the engine compartment. The front end was taken off and the steering arm was cut in half. I also took the area where the belt for the mower goes through and enlarged it enough to hopefully fit a radiator down into this location. I also took the clutch and original drive shaft out. After lifting the new engine in and out of the old engine compartment I determined that I would add 4” to the frame and steering rod. I cut the bottom original engine pan out just enough to allow the oil pan of the new engine to fit down deeper in the compartment. Stock Briggs engine mounts were used. The engine is offset center wise to accommodate drive trane alignment and other items like air cleaner and alternator. I tried a couple of radiators before I found the perfect one. I was in an area AGCO dealer, Lano’s Implement, Norwood, Minnesota, when I saw a Woods front deck lawn mower with a diesel engine water cooled. When I opened the hood to look at the radiator a smile came over my face. I had just found the perfect radiator! The engine in this Woods mower was a Kawasaki 2 cylinder diesel. I went to the parts counter and ordered a new radiator from Woods. When I got the radiator home it fit perfectly. I only had to cut a small part of the lower hood stifner out to make it fit. I retained the original fuel tank on the tractor and built a fake one for the back between the fenders to mimick the real one on the 220. The rear fenders were raised to the last hole of adjustment and dual headlights were added along with a rear safety light and work light. A full set of gauges was added plus indicator lights for certain functions. The hood was lengthened 5” and a tricky exhaust system was invented because of the tilting hood. The three point hitch was left stock as it matched and looked exactly like the real thing. The rims in front are Ford rims with a 6 x 14” farm angle traction tires. The rear rims are from an A-C 5015 with new bolt holes drilled in the rims to match the 720 bolt pattern. The tires are a 9.5 x 18 upgrade. The original seat was also removed and replaced with new brackets. The seat cushion itself is a deluxe seat from a D-17 tractor. Unfortunately, I did not take many pictures of the process. I did take one picture, which you see here when the tractor was ¼ completed and I have also taken photos of the finished tractor. There will be other features on the tractor, which I will be adding throughout the months so I don’t know if it will ever be completely finished. If I find additions I want for the tractor I will most likely add them. The tractor runs and performs well and is a blast to show people and talk about. I hope you all get a chance to see it. The project was fun and educational. Watch for it at A-C shows around the country.

Awesome. It looks great. How far do plan on traveling with them? Let us know what shows you plan on going to.

That is a great looking machine. I've thought it would be a great conversion to put a water cooled diesel engine in a 720. Where is the hydro cooler? Scott

Both tractors are cool. You did an awesome job on the 720, it looks like a factory build. Good work!

Very Nice looks terrific..maybe mine will look that good some day:D Yall might need to wear your sunglasses8D when you go look at these tractors;) Stormy

Ive always wanted to make a half scale tractor also. I would like to take a cub and make a minnie 1466 sence we have to of them on our farm.

Awesome! Great attention to detail! Please pardon one question, I am not sure how to contact Larry. I am fixing-up my A-C 720 and need an electric clutch. In his article he mentioned that he removed the old electric clutch. Could someone pass this along to Larry and ask him if he still has it and would want to sell it? Thanks, -Ken