Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gas Tank

darylcress

I purchased a gas tank from e-bay several months ago that was supposed to be for a B10. After receiving the tank it looked good. I mounted it in my loader tractor (work in process) and it looked ok. A few weeks later I went to put the hood on and the filler cap is in the wrong place. On the B10 tank it is towards the end. On this one it is in the center. Otherwise. the tank is identical. Does anyone know what this fits or have any interest in it? I do not have pictures now but will try to post some later.

darylcress, I had a tank like that, and I cut the filler cap out with a sawsall and then soldered a galvinized patch over the old hole, cut in a new hole and soldered it in. Must be ground down to shiny metal use muriatic acid as a flux, this may or may not work for you. Those tanks are hard to come by. 100.00 new.

Be very careful about grinding and/or welding on a gas tank. A nasty explosion could be the result!

You can safely purge a container by filling it with water. The hydrocarbons, being lighter, will float out of the top.

A trained professional can purge a fuel tank with nitrogen or water, but it's NOT something I'd just tell anyone they can go and do. Most any fabricator would tell you the same thing. Daryl, if you decide to weld on the tank, just be sure to research what you are doing first, thoroughly.

If the tank is empty it makes a nice big puff when you get near it with a torch.Put the water in the tank till it is full and then take a torch to the top.You will not have any problems.Just think of it this way a full tank of gas will not xplode but a empty one will make a good boom and bend the tank.Bob

I have one on my tractor that is engine mounted on the side of the tecumseh engine. It has the center hole, and a shut off valve on the end. Be careful cutting on that tank. Fill it with water before you cut. You can make a lot of sparks depending on what tool you use to cut with. If you don't want to try soldering on it, you can also just keep watching eBay. I just bought one that I hope will fit in the original location. Don't know if it will or not, but I got it for $13.00, so I figured it's worth a try. Steve

As an update, the tank I purchased off eBay is for a Wards Squire 12. It arrived today, and appears to drop right into place in the B210. The only problem is the location that the fuel line connects to does not appear to be the same as on the original, and I will need to drill a hole for the line to connect to. Also, this tank does not have a factory shut off valve, so I will add an in-line valve. Steve