Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kokomo

Engine Smoke (oil or gas) **HELP**

Kokomo
I purchased an AGCO ALLIS 918H (Simplicity 7100 Series), CH18s engine(18hp) and I have smoke at ½ engine speed or less once the engine starts to warm up. I have heard blue smoke is oil and black is rich mixture. I have never seen blue smoke, only black with an engine that is very very rich. The smoke that I get is more of a white, as I have also seen in another tractor when it was first started when the inlet valve on the carb. did not seat and leaked into the engine when the tractor was off. Do not have enough time on tractor to know about oil consumption. I redid the heads and the walls of the cylinders looked fine. I had a leak down test done and it showed good compression. Have rebuilt the carb. Do bad oil rings smoke more at high rpms than low rpms? Why does the engine not smoke at high rpms? Is my problem oil or gas? Bob in Kokomo

Mel_W
The tube comes from the vent box, where that tube connects is the vent and it could be stuck or just plugged. If this isn't the problem the next thing to look at are the valve guides and then the oil ring, it's the one with the expander ring between the upper and lower thin rings of the bottom ring groove. Mel

Charlieson
I had an oil ring break once. The tractor lost power and then quit. I got it started and to the shop. I started checking everything out and seen it blowing oil out the vent plug. I thought maybe the vent was bad, so I got another one. Same thing. Then I pulled the head. Everything looked ok. Finally I took the motor out and took the oil pan off. Still no sign of trouble. Then I took the piston out and bingo broken ring. Still had compression. And motor still ran for a short time. ddh

Kokomo
I would like to thank every one for their help. I have been looking at the carb. as the problem and have had it apart several times, rebuild kit etc. It got to smoking real bad Saturday at high as well as low rpm's. I took it to two shops and the 2nd one suggested I change the oil and plugs. They thought gas had got into the oil past the rings. Bingo, the smoke almost went away, still have it at low rpm's. I am afraid that this problem may just be covering up an oil ring problem. I have ordered a new carb and fuel pump. If this does not solve the proplem I will look elsewhere. I have never pulled a piston before, so I will need a lot of advice. Thanks to everyone again, Bob Hollis Kokomo Indiana

DaleC
If gas is getting past the rings due to the carb and the plug problem, you will find the oil has a varnish odor to it. Stick your finger into the oil fill, then rub your fingers together and take a wiff. You will be able to tell by the odor. If the carb is just running too rich it should show up by the odor of the exhaust as well. If the needle valve is leaking, you will proably find it hard to adjust the carb. Lean it out enough to run right at fast idle and it will have a loss of power under a load. Hope that your new carb and pump fix the problem

Kokomo
I installed the carb and fuel pump Sunday and the problem is greatly improved; however, I still get white smoke after an extended warm up time (5 min. or more at high rpm’s). I have run about ¾ of a tank of gas and have not been able to tell if the tractor is using oil yet, it depends on where it is sitting when I check the oil. I am going to mark a level place to check the oil each time. Is it possible that it will take a while to clean the combustion chamber and exhaust system before the smoke stops? I am using 10w40 Pennzoil, as per manual that I have; my two BS Vanguards and Kohler KT all say to use 30w oil at warmer temp’s. If I change the crankcase filter, should I also change the reed valve? Thanks again to everyone for your help. Bob Hollis Kokomo IN

Kokomo
I just returned from the local Kohler distributor and ask them to check the original carb. number, 24 053 02, to see what size engine my carb. is used on. This number, 24 053 02, has been changed to 24 853 02, and the computer listed several engines that used this carb. all of which were 20hp or 22hp engines. Can anyone verify this information? All of the numbers on the engine are gone and just the sticker remains. I assume that I either have a 20hp or 22hp engine in my tractor or I have a 20hp or 22hp carb. on an 18hp engine. I ordered an 18hp gasket rebuild kit when I replaced the head gasket; however, it is my understanding that the 18hp, 20hp and 22hp engines all have the same size cylinder bore. I assume that the same gasket kit fit all of these engines. Does anyone know a how to tell the difference between and 18hp engine and a 20hp or 22hp engine? My current thinking is that the jets are to big for the engine and the cylinders are loading up at low rpms when the engine is hot and not when the engine is cold; as a cold engine uses more fuel. I have noticed that when I idle the hot engine it takes a while before the smoke appears and if I go to high rpms the engine stops smoking. Could the wrong carb. be the problem? HELP PLEASE Bob Hollis Kokomo IN.

Kokomo
I apologize for not saying I had a Kohler Command OHV engine, now believed to be an 18hp (could be 20hp or 22hp. Yes Mel may very well have it figured out, he most likely does; however, to replace the crankcase vent filter, I have to remove the metal cooling cover over one head. To do this I have to remove the plastic cover over the rear of the engine, to do this I must remove the drive shaft, cooling screen and move the engine forward if not out of the tractor. I also have to remove the carb. Bob Hollis