Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting problems - Broadmoor 16hp

bdid

I acquired this tractor about four yrs ago and besides normal maintenance items it has been pretty good. I think it's a 1993/4 from the "dealer manual". Lately I have had trouble starting it. Replaced the battery and cleaned all the connections to the starter. I found that by lifting the PTO switch several times it can turn over but it's hit or miss. Does a bad PTO behave like this or is it just the switch? Getting parts is not easy since the closest dealer is 120 miles away down here in Florida. Is there a website that I could download a real manual with part #'s and all? (Humidity is taking a toll on the pulleys/belts/spring/blades.) Thanks for any suggestions.

Welcome to the club Bob. The MFGR# for a 93/94 Broadmoor is 1692283. You can download a parts manual and operators manual at:http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php Just enter the MFGR# and right click the manual you want. select `save target as' and away you go. To me, it sounds like one of the safety interlock switches is faulty. You might try using a jumper across the contacts but remove the jumper when you're done testing. Goodluck. Steve

Whoa. Paydirt. Thanks for the link. Now, if I can get some pricing, I'm set. Is there another manual for troubleshooting these potential electrical issues intelligently? (Like a Chilton's guide for Simplicity?) Thanks again

Here is a link to a club section with electrical info: http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/electrical_systems.htm Also you can down load the repair manual at this site: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php#start just do a search for `2063' you'll find this: TP_500_2063_00_BM_SMA.pdf Much better than a chiltons !! Steve

Oh man, Steve. 246 pages of gold. Now, I've got a mission..... I owe you one. ("Ask around, I know how to repay a favor.") Thanks, Bob

Well, gee, if there's a reward involved, I'll chime in!:D Seriously, if you are 120 miles away from parts, I would recommend Jack's Small Engine Repair. If you go to the SimpleTractors homepage, you can find a banner ad there. Since my local Simplicity dealer always increases the price for shipping, the prices are comparable at Jack's if not less. I generally only use the local dealer if I need something right away. Go to the Parts Database at the top right of Jack's homepage and enter the part number that you need on the page that comes up.

You know, I saw that and checked it out. Even with shipping it looks reasonable. The only thing that caught my eye was the price of belts. I know some think the OEM is worth it so I'll give it a try. Thanks for the assist though. Bob

The early rectangular "flip up" PTO switch has been replaced with a round "pull up" switch and as you suspect could very well be your problem.

So if I order a replacement switch, it should be the updated one? Maybe that would be worth a trial. Since I need to order other parts anyway the shipping would be covered. Appreciate the help, Bob

• 2 weeks later...
If you key in a part number from any source, parts manual or what ever, the data base at Jackssmallengines.com will give you the latest part numbers. Order part number 123 from your manual. If a later part number or "kit" has replaced that number the data base will sub to it. No matter which manufacter, Ayp though Zama the data base will give you the current part number available. If the data base responds with "Sorry number cant be found....." it is save to say the part is no longer available from the OEM. Jack http://www.jackssmallengines.com

Thanks guys. I was using Jacks site for pricing parts but I don't know where to stop. I could use new pulleys because they're slightly rusted & eating up belts but the spindles don't come apart at this point without getting damaged by tools. And the pieces to make those three up is formidable. Then I see the deck has corrosion on & around the spring that tenses the "idler" pulley. The slit is now a hole I can fit my thumb thru. So a new deck is looking important ($273 + ?? shipping). Plus the original starting problem has not recurred since I haven't used the PTO switch in a couple of weeks while I dissected the mower deck. This makes me think it is just the switch after all. Today it started and I engaged the blades with no problems. Man, I really like the tractor but I don't know where to draw the line on renovating it. Is a 10 year old Broadmoor (16hp/44in) in good condition worth very much?? Thanks for any advise. Bob

It`s a better mower than you can buy at the big box stores and putting a little money in it is better than replacing it if it`s in good condition.

• 1 month later...
Hey fellas, After alot of trial and error, I realized the obvious. I could get the starter to crank with jumper cables right to the starter terminal - and the key/ignition on. Unfortunately, with this I can't get off the seat whether the PTO is on or not. Has anyone experienced this scenario and found the culprit? It makes me think the PTO and switch are not the culprit but the seat switch light comes on so I think that is working. Plus, the neutral light comes on correctly. Does the starter relay behave like this when it's foul? It's intermittent. Thanks again. Bob