Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel line length?

cckemm

How critical is the fuel line length for briggs motors?? Will you have problems with a longer fuel line because of the extra friction loss that you develop?? Want to move the tank for a briggs motor further away from the motor than it was originally and figured if I mounted it slightly higher than it was originally the little bit of extra developed head pressure should overcome the friction loss of the longer gas line, but have concerns that the float needle will not hold back the extra pressure and will flood all the time. Or possibly use a larger diameter fuel line to prevent starving the motor for fuel. Thanks for any thoughts on this one:)

There really isn't any "friction loss" to speak of in fuel lines unless you are running something that guzzles a serious amount of fuel, like running methanol or a pair of Holley Dominator carbs :-) If the tank is within a couple feet of the engine, it should be fine.

When I repowered my 3410,I had to reroute the fuel line,and probably added a foot or so to it.No problems as long as it's still running downhill from the tank.

Line length is not critical because the fuel flows very slowly. If you move the tank, make sure that you have it sitting at the same height as before. If you lower the tank you will lose fule pressure, and may run out of fuel at the carb when there is still some in the tank. My 61 Wards runs out of gas with 2 inches in the tank. I have a Kohler with a side draft carb rather than the original B/S with the updraft carb attached to the long tube. I need to raise the tank.

hey thanks for the help guys, seems to be working well. Will see what happens when it runs out of gas and see if it actually empties the tank. Chris