Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cutter Blades-To Sharpen Or...

andy gartner

...Not to Sharpen, That Is The Question... Around the farm, we don't have many spots of nice grass. Mostly, lots of field grass, punctuated by potholes, tree roots, dips, doodles, fallen tree branches, (not always picked up) and the occasional stone popping up. We always cut as high as possible. While a balanced blade is important, people seem to have differing opinions about sharping blades. Any thoughts on this? :) Thanks for your time, A

I'm no farmer, but I can't imagine why sharper blades wouldn't be better than dull blades. Sharpen and balance them and see if it makes a difference.

The sharper the knife, the better the cut. I do not sharpen without balancing. Bought one of those cheap little cone balancers and now I don't know how I put up with those vibrations for all those years, that I don't have now.

I agree I hardly ever used to sharpen my blades, Now I do and I'm amazed.... at what a difference it makes... and Balancing also makes abig difference...

If you look at a blade of grass cut with a sharp mower blade, the end of the grass blade will look like it was cut by scissors, nice and straight and will stay green. If you look at a blade of grass cut with a dull mower blade, the grass blade will look like it was wacked by a machete, ragged and will turn brown in color. This is not healthy for the grass plant. Also, for a healthy lawn, mow high, 2-1/2 to 3" or higher spring thru summer. Taller lawns weather the summer drought better and shade the soil to prevent weeds from starting to grow. Start lowering the mower in the fall (September) to end up at 2" before winter. The short lawn during winter will prevent snow mold and moles.

Try cutting some weeds with the blunt side of a machette, and then flip it over and use the sharp side to see what a difference it makes.

Thanks, Will get blades sharpened, and balanced, as deck is apart to replace a bad spindle. Had to get a small puller and grind off ends slightly to pull cast iron pulleys. Earlier pulleys? had an allen screw in the pulley V, driven into the key, didn't see this and broke a beautiful pulley. Later ones, no allen screw. A

Got my information from an old Allis Chalmers dealer, "If you keep your blades sharp you will have a lot less problems with belts, less pull on the mower and will cut the grass rather than tear it". I saw him almost get in a fight with a customer one time when the guy was complaining about his tractor not cutting good and that sharpening blades was just a way for the dealer to sell more blades! He also was big on having the deck set up right, with the front a little higher than the back, he said that it cut the clippings up finer. He's gone now but I used to spend a lot of time talking to him, he knew his AC's.