Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grinding gears on 3212v

Charlieson

I replaced the rearend in my 3212v. I thought that I had all of the adjustments on the varispeed stuff acording to the specs. Now when ever I try to switch gears she grinds like crazy and doesnt want to go in. I check the rearend grease and it looks pretty cloudy, so I am going to change it, but I dont think that will fix my problem. Any suggestions? ddh

I am not familiar with the RBT's, but on the foot draggers the first thing I would check is the brake adjustment.

Make sure that the tension on the drive belt is adjusted correctly. The belt guards need to be in place and adjusted correctly also. This allows the belt to "loosen" on the drive pulley and not cause it to turn when the clutch pedal is depressed. The tranny is trying to turn. That is what is causing the problem with the shifting of the transmission.

Check this thread: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10320&SearchTerms=vari-drive,adjustment Pat

THanks, I think that the belt is still turning. I wont get a chance to work on it until Sunday. ddh

I had a 3210V and it the gears ground in that and so does my B112 but if you put the variable lever down inlow it goes right in...

I have had the same problem with my 3112V. It is a touchy interrelated series of adjustments between the belt guards & the belt "pincher". I have found that moving the vari to slow has helped immensly, but that ain't how it oughta work... there is a post with PICS of a tractor with a tranny pulley brake that is clutch/brake actuated-a small brake pad mounted on some additional linkage actually slows/stops that pulley so tranny action stops for shifting. he claims it works great & bought it that way... see post titled VariDrive by RAYH this forum currently on page 8...

The belt "pincher" is called the belt stop. Its purpose is to stop the belt from moving when the clutch/brake pedal is depressed. You get the grinding when the belt(and tranny input shaft) keeps turning. Since these are not syncronized gearsets(straight cut gears), they need to be stopped to change gears. I kow I've posted pics of the tranny internals, a search should yield good results... Here's a pic of the "rear pulley brake" that came on the B-112 I bought a while ago. You can see the chain and spring(silver) and where the brake pad rubs the rear pulley's fixed section(dark band around outer edge of pulley). When the pedal is depressed, the chain pulls on the spring, causing the "brake" to rotate on the vertical pivot and press the pad against the rear pulley.

Well now that looks alot simpler than the one i had pointed out in my previous post- that will be alot easier to copy. What did you use for brake pad material & where did you get it? How about a closeup PIC? Some pointers on copying it?

• 3 weeks later...
Wow! Ihave the same problem in my b-112. The belt isn't turning, rather the big pulley on the tranny seems to freewheel very long after the clutch/brake is depressed. Like other's have said, shifting in low speed is a really good idea. However, I'd really like to copy daddy cat's brake. Ditto for the close-up, brake material and pointers! Thanks.

Chris, If the belt stops moving and the tranny pulley is still spinning, that means you need to adjust the brake. The brake should stop the tranny pulley from spinning, while the belt stop on the wide front idler should pinch the belt just enough to stop the belt from moving.... Kent
  • Like 1