Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Garden Done!!

thedaddycat

After everything done prior to this, I finally got it tilled, raked out, and some of the boards set. The planting is about half way done, at last.....

This is what it looked like last year in March....

After tilling and getting the soil nice and loose, I don't want it packed down. The boards are to walk on. Also it keeps the kids from running all over that nice freshly tilled soil.... If they want something they know to walk around or on the boards. I also have three soaker hoses buried in there for when(or if) the rain goes away. BTW Stormy, here's a partial list of what's going in this year(garden is now about 50'X 30'): Vegetables..... Strawberries(small plants to produce next year) Broccoli, cauliflower, pumpkins(4 varieties), cantaloupes, watermelon, cucumbers(2 varieties),eggplant, zuccini, yellow squash, lettuce(8 varieties), swiss chard, spinach, tomatos(4 varieties) peppers(4 varieties) Flowers.... snapdragons, stock, ageratum, petunias, nasturtium, morning glories, nicotiana, marigolds, gomphrena, and a few others Oh yeah, one more thing.... Hey Kent, I liked your landscaping rake so much when I used it at Rob's house that I went out and got one of my own. It's about three times as wide as a regular bow rake(garden rake). I picked up three of those orange fiberglass handles bow rakes early in the season for $5 each. That big one was $40, but I bet one will last me a lifetime......

Yea, weve gotten a lot of rain also. It rained almost everyday last month. And so far June hasnt been any better. ddh

Well daddycat I can tell you are not LAZY.You did alot a work there.It's gona be a real nice garden.Please post more pictures as you go.Good idea on the boards..I was gona ask about them Roy beat me to it. Stormy

Looks great! I just got my sleeve hitch completed for my B-110 and have been plowing. I'll have to post some pics. I think I like the tiller a lot better than the moldboard plow. -Chris

Kirk, Your Garden looks GREAT!! I wish I had the room for that. Now what are yougoing to do with the rest of the rock? Do you still have a retaining wall to finish building?

Looks good Kirk, With all the rain, I am surprised the soil didn't settle yet. I bet you will have the biggest garden in the neighborhood.

Kirk, You obviously do not have dogs. The first thing mine did after I tilled was go romping through it and digging holes. They liked the soft, loose, soil. Grin!

No dogs, but two cats. A liberal dose of crushed red pepper sprinkled about and they don't dig in it more than once.... Hey Stormy, I also planted some lima beans and okra along with some other stuff not on the list that I forgot I had seeds for. Four kinds of hot peppers, sunflowers, alyssum, parsley, coriander, chives, carrots, turnips, hmmmm I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting...... Anyhow, it's pretty big now.........

Kirk, I wasn't planting a garden, but I did mow my lawn with the AC716H. Diff worked fine since I moved the washer. Also installed a 51-4 battery. Now it starts without being jumped. We did cut down 5 large pine trees that sat on the property line between mine and my neighbor's house yesterday. A friend came and picked up the logs today. There were four, sixteen footers and a twelve footer. I can't wait to see how much wood he gets out of them when he runs them through his sawmill. I gave them to him instead of hauling them to the dump.

good idea with the boards, i hate walking in the garden when its wet. and its really been wet in S.C. this spring.

Good job Kirk. I think you win the award for most work involved in setting up a garden this year!

Thats alot of garden daddycat.Your freezer will be full for winter or your pantry.Some people freeze some can.It's alot of work either way but well worth it in my book.When I was a kid we would have starved to death if it hadn't been for all the hard work in the summer in the garden.My dad still has a big garden.I have always wanted a garden..right now I just help with his.I see you have a really nice list of flowers there to.Do they help keep the bugs out of the vegetables?Thats a good idea with the soaker hoses and the pepper to keep the pets out.With all that pepper you planted you can make a whole lot of pepper sauce to use with your greens and beans.I was gona ask you ..Do they sell that rock (like you have in your yard) at the nuserys there?People are buying it here for rock gardens and small pond decoration in their yards and it looks real nice if it's done right.Very nice garden.Don't forget the tomatoes. Robin