Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

IronPony

Sleeve Hitch

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
Thanks Daddycat. Now, what is the rear lift group used for? Maybe I don't know it but "need" it to:D Dan
Rear Lift = Used to raise and lower tiller and other rear mounted implements, including those attached to a "Sleeve Hitch." Sleeve Hitch = "U" shaped hitch used to attach plows and other sleeve hitch type implements. There are different Rear Lifts and Sleeve Hitches used by Allis/Simplcity tractors. The older Rear Lifts, used mainly by FDTs, are rod controlled. These use a chain to attach to implements, and lack the 2nd hole used on the later models. Many have two identical collars. The newer Rear Lifts, used by RBTs, are cable controlled. These use a rod and clevis which attaches to the Sleeve Hitch. These also have a 2nd hole to accept the rod and clevis. One of the collars has a larger shoulder. The older Sleeve Hitches are "tapered" and lack the anti-sway plate used on the newer "square" Sleeve Hitches.
  • Like 1

thedaddycat
Here are a few pics to help clear and muddy the waters..... This is the rear lift group off my 3310 V, a RBT from 1971. You see the home made grab hook pinned to the lift up top. I leave the chain attached to the moldboard plow and can control depth by changing which link I hook when using it with other tractors like the Putt Putt, which has a manual lift and no stop notches. At the bottom you see the old style sleeve hitch that came with the above mentioned plow. Note that it has no anti-sway feature, and is pinned to the lower points of the rear lift brackets. The hitch pin(gold tone w/ grab handle) is in place. To the right is a home made sleeve hitch for use with implements that have a narrow throat, like a cart or broadcast sperader. It pins to the lower points like the other sleeve hitch and allows more vertical movement without binding than just hooking up to the normal towing tab(bottom center). This is very handy if you have hilly or rough ground to cover.

Now to stir it up a bit.... Though this is from a RBT, it is a rod controled counter balanced rear lift that has the stepped left side collar and second hole for a new style sleeve hitch lift rod. It uses the chain lift for the sleeve hitch shown, but will work with the newer style sleeve hitch, too. Once again we see that the 3300 series is a mix-and-match transition model tractor, combining features from both older and newer styles.....

To make if even less clear, here's the top view of the 3310 V rear lift. See how the flat plate bends over the end of the lift tube? Note also how high up the second hole is in the above pic.

This rear lift is from the 3310 H. It has a second small hole above the cross shaft, and a third hole below the lift tube. It also has the stepped left side collar.

Note that this flat plate has an offset bend closer to the tranny, does not go over the end of the lift tube, and is welded to the side of it. An interesting oddity, no?

• Like 1