Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K341 Fuel Delivery Problem

Brent_Baumer

My 716H will start right up and run for about a minute then die from lack of fuel. Starting doing this a few weeks ago. I discovered that if I "pump" the fuel line from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the carb I was able to get it going again. That was working until today. My son drove "his" tractor out of the garage this morning, got about 100' and it died. Primed the lines again and it would restart for a couple seconds then die. Can't get it going. I figure if I leave it set for awhile gravity will fill the bowl again and allow me to get it back to the garage. Question - do these pumps gradually fail, or normally do they just stop pumping? Could it be a carb problem?. I have done various checks and am certain this is a fuel problem, not an ignition problem. Thanks, Brent

It depends on what fails. If the diaphragm suddenly ruptures, or if a valve pops out of the body, the pump will quit immediately. If a valve starts leaking, the pump will gradually fail over time. Most of the problems I have seen with those fuel pumps, is a valve that pops out. While the tractor sits, gravity fills the carb. Once you start the tractor, the pump will push on one stroke, then pull on the other so the fuel just sits there. It cannot gravity feed. I usually remove the line to the pump and connect directly to the carb. That will get you by, though it won't empty the tank, until you can make the repair. Pat

By pass the pump and just try a gravity feed. If you have an overhead fuel source there is no real need for the pump, depending where the carb is located.

Went out and it started back up fine. Drove it back to the garage and let it run for a minute. Ran fine. Hmmmm. Put a bid on a used pump on ebay, not much $. If I keep having problems I'll by-pass the pump as suggested. Thanks, Brent

My K321, had a similar problem. At first it would run fine til it heated up, then quit. Over time it got worse and wouldn't start with out a squirt of ether. Tried a rebuild kit a $20. Didn't help. Changed the fuel pump to one of the plastic kind and she starts right up. [url]http://www.jackssmallengines.com/fuel_kpump.cfm[/url]

Brent, I tried using a fuel pump on our 61 Wards when we were pulling with a K301 on it. It would run out of fuel at mid track. I removed the fuel pump and went straight to gravity flow, and have no problems since, even with the current K321 on it. I talked to several pullers about this. General consensus is that the fuel pumpl will not pump at full throttle with high load for a long period of time. Most guys that I know have gone to gravity feed, or electric or vacuum pumps.