Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rim job

Dadsy98

I have finished blasting the rims and primed them with a sandable primer. The bead sealing portion of the rims were pitted pretty bad. So, with course emery paper in hand I went around and around and around, STOP! Hey there has to be an easier way. This is what I came up with. Still take time but just sitting there and holding the sand paper was much more pleasant.

I'm trying to maintain the quality benchmark that Kris has set for us here ;). When I finished sanding the rim end ( only one was badly pitted) I used a green Scotch Brite pad on the entire rim. After that I wiped it down with isopropyl and let dry. As I started to grab the wrench to remove the rim to reprime I thought hey, just put the tractor back in gear and spray it right there. Worked out great, easy to apply and no runs or drips. I then did the other rim the same way. Currently both rims are finished with three coats of Rustoleum Almond. Oh, the sandals ARE OSHA approved! : "Only Steve Has Authority" :)

Thats a pretty cool idea...Want to watch out for the overspray on the tractor though if you paint them on it like that... Anyway thanks for the idea...just getting ready to do some rims myself..

well, mowerman you know the risks. I used some paper toweling and magnets to shield the tractor from the over spray. Oh, don't spray on a windy day :) I am anxious to mount the new tires I found at portland. The paint takes so D_MN long to dry though... Steve

Steve, You must have liked that Almond I put on my rims. ;) But I'll quarantee I didn't do the detail your doing. I've only taken the tires off my rims to paint when I had the 717 and new tires were going back on. Yours is going to look nice and most likely better than mine.^ Keep up the good work and mostly keep up on the pictures. I have alot of pictures from the in progress stages but only 2 of the before stage. Make sure you have alot of before pics.

Thats the way I clean the rear wheel on my motorcycle. Also i tumble gas tanks like that to clean the rust out, put rocks and BB's fill about half full of kerosene duct tape inside rear wheel of Big Ten, jack up rear of tractor, let her go. Does a good job.

Now I wish I'd taken pictures of the rims before I started. My gallery shows the 2110 the rims came from. that picture doesn't really show how cruddy they were. The Rustoleum Almond paint looked good enough for me, maybe somewhat darker than OEM but, my toys are working toys :) The hardest part of redoing the rims has been the sandblasting. A 12" rim hides a lot of surface area. ...still waiting for the paint to dry :( Steve

Hmmm. seems my post has been hijacked. this isn't were I had it. Who will own up to the ornery deed? Steve

quote:
Originally posted by Dadsy98
I'm trying to maintain the quality benchmark that Kris has set for us here ;).
Same here, but the MTD has other ideas...

Paco, you are in uncharted territory. If you persevere you will have a fine machine. It's been said many times, the majority of owners won't do the maintenance. That's how we can get the tractors so cheap. Everyone just goes to Lowes or Walmarts and buy new. My neighbor down the road just ruined his two year old rider. Never changed the oil, filters, etc. Let his kids ramp and baha with it. Sure, he'll have a shiney new one next week. I wish I could afford that. Anyway, go for it you'll be glad you did, and proud. Steve