Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

185 a/c

TBOLT

anyone familiar with a 185 Allis Chalmers, it looks like at least 75hp.it looks completely restored and is sitting on roadside for sale

Yea, I had a 180 which is basically the same. A very good pulling hearty tractor with 70 horses without a turbo, and 100 with an old M & W turbo. What is the price?

I know a guy that has one he uses to cut and bale hay. From what I understand they're pretty good tractors. I dream of having a one-ninety xt one day but for now a B-110 is big enough. -Chris

My grandfather has one, and each of my uncles has one. With three in the family, I'd say the 185 is a very good tractor. Has 75 drawbar hp and 85 belt hp. I've used my grandpa's quite a bit over the years (cultivating, mowing, hauling wagons, planting, post-hole digging, etc.) and I love it! DaveM

I have one that needs a little TLC, but not a bad tractor though. Would consider selling. Needs one brake. Does not jump out of any gear. Strong motor. Front end could stand a rebuild. I think it was a loader tractor before I got it?

May be wrong, but weren't the 180's, 185's, and 190's the models that had too light of a rear end for the engine power, and wouldn't stand a lot of heavy pulling? Seems to me that I read somewhere that these tractors used, basically, the same rear end gears as the WD's and WD 45's. Pat

Yes they were/are light in the rear end. I use to pull it in my younger years never did any good really to speak of except donate to the winner and have a lot of fun! As far as the same rear end as the WD's Im not sure? Kenny

Not much similarity between the WD and 180 except the company that manufactured them. The 180/190 were similar to the D-19. 180-185 never gave much mechanical problems except jumping out of 4th gear after it was ground in several times. The early 190 tractors had more HP than they could stand. Bull gears and pinion gears were light. The later tractors went to larger bull gears and axles, and a 4 pinion differential. As long as the pump was not turned up and the tractor was treated ok, they would last. By the time the 200 can along, the rear axle problems were mostly over.

It is a 1977 Allis Chalmers mod.185 crop hustler.Looks brand new, im assuming a complete restoration or a new paint, tires and decals to say the least.$7500.00 is the sticker price but I don't think I need it.Although it is a honey.

We have a 190XT series III with a factery cab. the 185's were good tractors they didn't have the rearend problems the bargrill 190's had. the bar grill 190's had D19 rear ends in them we use to have on. we also had a series II 190xt Diesel great tractor but was wore out. we had a 200 for a will it was gutless was glad to see that rig go the 190xt we have now we use for chores and it has low hours on it.

$7500.00 for a 185 isnt bad for a 72 hp tractor from the factory,the 190s were 89 hp with gas and 93 hp with xt with a turbo and the 200 replaced the 190 xt with 93 then latter 100 hp.The 185 had a perkins diesel in it.