Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dumb Dumb Mistake - Help!

pacodiablo

As some know I messed up putting the float in the carb, and I know this is a really stupid question, but which is up and down? Which side of the float goes up and which side of the valve goes up? Here is a pic... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/pacodiablo/carb.JPG[/img] Also, I need this strange screw...if anyone knows where to find it, tell me... [img]http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/269000-269999/269586_28_full.jpg[/img] I stupidly broke it. I am putting the tractor under the tarp for now before I mess up anything else.

Lets see. It's been awhile since I've had one apart and that was on my tecumseh, but... There should be a small wire clip that holds the valve to the float. The valve looks like a tiny plumb bob. One end is pointy, and the other has a little groove around it that the clip hooks onto. I believe the pointy end goes up. The hinge pin fits at the top of the float. If I'm understanding your drawing right, the picture of the valve is right side up and the picture of the float is up side down, because in the picture, the hinge pin is at the bottom of the float, and it should be at the top. If all else fails, wait a couple of days. I loosened the cup on mine to try to get out some wet gas and didn't get it back on right, so I'll be pulling it off and I can look then. Steve

This carb is typical of the ones found on Briggs engines. It is off the 10 hp Briggs 243431 in the 3310 H I recently got. Don't feel bad about learning, the guy I got it from destroyed the main jet because he didn't even know it was there....

This is where the main jet goes into the carb, accessable after you remove the needle valve.

This is how the float goes. Notice the nice big dent in this one....

Here's how the float valve goes in.

This shows the spring clip that holds the float valve to the float. I hope this helps....

That does help, thanks! But, I found no clip in mine. I can probably get one though if it needs one. Here is the actual pic of what I have to work with... [img]http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/269000-269999/269586_29_full.jpg[/img]

This float has an "integral clip". The needle slides into the slot on the hinge side of the float. When properly installed to the float, the spring loaded end of the needle should rest against the little tab in the center of slot. If I am seeing things right, the float in your photo has the bottom (after installation) facing up. As your float is positioned in the photo, the pointed end should point down. Hope this makes sense. I'm almost confusing myself. :D:D As to the bolt, your best bet would be to go to your Briggs dealer. Pat

Thanks, I will try it out in the morning and post pics of the result to get opinions. Thanks to all who replied.

Kirk, I got in a hurry on one of mine and forgot about the diagonal emulsion tube. I broke it in two. Believe it or not, I carefully soldered it back together and it works. In fact I will be using that one on my AC712S. I hope to get that running soon, after I can catch up on "Honey do's".

[img]http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_b/269000-269999/269586_31_full.jpg[/img] Does that look right? I am not so sure that it is. The float will not move on its own like that and the black thing is always depressed.

I dont have a carb like that apart to post a pic but lets see if I can help you out. In your lower left pic the float has a slot with a tab under it. upper left pic there is a slot in the valve. Before assembly slide that valve into the slot in the float so the point is away from the float then put the two pieces into the carb together. This will assure your float is right side up. This way with the carb upside down as you show it, if you pic up on the float it will pick up the valve. Hope this helps

I know a guy who could probably do this better than I can, so to avoid any more gas spills, I think I will take it to him. The carb needs more work than I thought it did and this guy can probably get all the right parts and do the job right. We have been to him before with our JD and Dynamark as well as our push mowers and srting trimmers and he does good work.

I decided to buy a manual...finally. LOL. I can build a two stroke with my eyes closed, but these bigger four strokes are a whole new thing.

HOW TO REPAIR SMALL ENGINE CARBURETORS VIDEO Ends Jul-01-03 06:30:14 PDT http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20544&item=2331270408 This might help. Steve