Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fresh Paint...

pacodiablo

When I first picked up the MTD, it was covered in surface rust and some penetrating rust. Since then I have done a ton of body work and the tractor is almost ready for paint. However, I am not a very good painter. Does anyone have some good tips they have learned about painting? I want to do this right the first time. I plan to finish rust removal and getting the old paint off, then I will do 2 coats of primer and 2-3 coats of glossy gray.

I will to you suggesting trying it first once on an old piece sheet metal. The surfaces must be very very smooth and grease-free!

I agree with Gerhard. I wet sanded after I had primed, then let it dry. I sprayed the paint with light coats, and it came out real good, at least for me! Good luck!

Are you using rattle cans to paint? If you are you can get a snap on handle with a trigger. Using one of those will give you better control. keep the can 8 to 10 inches or what it says on the can from the panel that you are painting. Start the spray before the panel and release after the panel Keeping a even distance from the panel through out the sweep. With a little practice as Drigon said you can get a real nice finsh. Two or three thin coats is better than one thick and runny one. Good Luck