Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
IronPony

K341S Head

IronPony
Well, I got my engine today but when I went to remove the spark plug I found out the threads were stripped out in the head:(! So, unless there is someway to "fix" it, I need another head. Has anyone got a good head laying around?.Otherwise the engine looks to be in good shape. Dan

IronPony
Dan, Thanks for the quick reply! I have never heard of this helicoil kit so I guess I will ask you to tell me more here so that others that have never heard of it can also learn. How does it work and can an all thumbs persons like myself use it?? I'll sign my self : Another Dan

PatRarick
Haven't had a lot of luck with heli-coil on air cooled cylinder heads. I use another brand (can't recall the name. Have to check tommorrow in the shop)that uses a threaded insert, rather than a coil. It is knurled at the top. Once you rethread the spark plug hole, you apply loc-tite to the insert and screw it in just a hair below flush with the top of the head. A special flaring punch comes with the kit and you use this punch to flare the top of the insert so the knurls cut into the head to lock the insert. Pat

rokon2813
kit comes with its own drill bit. You drill the hole larger. The kit comes with its own tap. You tap in larger threads. The kit comes with " helicoils " basically a new set of threads that you screw in with the special tool in the kit then screw your plug into that. They look like little springs so they have threads inside and out. I have faith in you . If you can get 10 thumbs to drill and tap a straight hole you can do it no problem. And yes Pat everybody has their preference. We use helicoil on dirt bike heads with no problems so they are the only brand I have tried. We all go with what works best for us.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
Well, I got my engine today but when I went to remove the spark plug I found out the threads were stripped out in the head:(! So, unless there is someway to "fix" it, I need another head. Has anyone got a good head laying around?.Otherwise the engine looks to be in good shape. Dan
If you have an automotive machine shop close by, getting a thread insert installed should only be a 20 min job, whether it be Helicoil or even the one Pat mentioned.

Brent_Baumer
Had this same problem last year on a K341. thanks to this site I learned about the helicoil. I found it cheaper to and easier to have the local machine shop do it because they already had the bit. The coil itself was only a few dollars. I got the head surfaced, a new head gasket, the helicoil installed and a new plug for less than the helicoil kit. Don't remember now the cost but I'm pretty sure it was under $30 total.

Brent_Baumer
Found where we talked about this before: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6660&SearchTerms=helicoil http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6739&SearchTerms=helicoil Also, reading the links above reminded me of my brother-in-law telling me I should wrap the plug threads with tinfoil like you would teflon tape. Never tried it though. Don't think I will either if this ever happens again. Brent

johnmonkey
I had the same problem with my 1965 k341 (from a cub 102)and I had the local lawn mower shop do it for about $10.00 + a new head gasket for another ~$10.00 and it runs great. Not bad for a free tractor!! Good luck JH

IronPony
Once again what a wealth of knowledge this site commands[:0] Thanks guys and gals. I am going to check out the DIY kits and ask at my local machine shop about having them do it. I'll follow up when the job is done. Dan