Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

motors

dav

My Big Ten came with a B&S 243341 engine. I picked up a model 23 at Brooklyn just to get the cooling shroud. It fit with the use of several washers under one bolt. I, knowing little about small engines, thought that the 23 and 243341 were the same 10 hp motor. And that the model 19 on my early 60s almost never used generator was the 9 hp. But references made in several posts lead me to believe that the 243341 came in both 9 and 10 hp versions. How do I identify what I have? And will the model 19 fit in a B series if I toss out the gear reducer? Or should I just sell it and rebuild the model 23 as a spare?

As long as the oil drain plug lines up with the holes in the chassis, nearly any single cylinder B/S engine will fit. The driveshaft hooks to the flywheel side of the engine so the removal of the gear reducer doesn't affect anything. I have a 243431 10Hp in my AC716H. It was a direct replacement for the 16Hp Kohler. Only fuel line and throttle cable had to be modified.

I too am anxious to here the answers to this. I was under the impression the model 19 was only 7 hp.

Model 19 (19CID) is 7-7-1/2 HP, Model 23 (23CID) is 9HP later replaced by 233XXX (9HP)engine. Model 243XXX (24CID)is a 10 HP engine. Then is model 300XXX (30CID) which covers the 12HP-13HP and then 320XXX (32CID) which covers 14-16 HP engine. I am doing this from memory and not the book, but am pretty close.

The model 19 was designated either 7 or 7.25 horsepower. The model 23 was a 9 horsepower engine. The newer series of this engine was the 23XXXX. The 24XXXX engine was a 10 horsepower engine. It used the same block as the 23 or 23XXXX, with a slightly larger cylinder bore, but the same crankshaft stroke. It used a larger carburetor than the 23XXXX, and a larger connecting rod journal. The 30XXXX, was a 12 horsepower engine. It used a larger block. The 32XXXX was rated at 14, 15, or 16 horsepower, depending on engine tuning. In most cases, the 23, 23XXXX, 24XXXX, 30XXXX, and 32XXXX are completely interchangeable in a given piece of equipment. Pat Added - Bob beat me by a few seconds, but we are on the same plane!!:D