Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dumb Question

pacodiablo

Do fuel filters need to be replaced on a regular basis? I think my tractor has the original.

Someone has to know this, I know it is a stupid question, but seriously I don't know the answer!

Not Dumb Question I change mine once a month if it needs it or not. Having these old tractors it seems that you can get a little rust in the gas tank and it works it's way down to the filter.

If your tank is plastic you shouldn,t need to change it only once or twice a year more if you happen to get bad gas.

On the Putt Putt I have the old style glass bowl filter right below the tank. I also put in a shut off valve downstream of that and a plastic cartrige filter between the valve and the carb. The bowl catches a lot and the second one gets the rest, I hope....

Most times I get lazy and don't change them often enough, which can sometimes cause problems. It is easier to change them on a regular schedule than to have problems in the middle of a big job.

That depends on what kind of tractor its on...If its a box store brand it probably wont last long enough to worry about the fuel filter:D:D Sorry I couldn't resist,LOL I usually change mine yearly

LOL. Yeah, it is a POS. But the engine is good, and I am debadging it. Once I am done painting it, it will look a lot better. When I get my manual for it, I will get to work on the oil leak and general clean up of the engine.

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
On the Putt Putt I have the old style glass bowl filter right below the tank. I also put in a shut off valve downstream of that and a plastic cartrige filter between the valve and the carb. The bowl catches a lot and the second one gets the rest, I hope....
Have you seen the inline glass ones from Fram? I put one on my old truck. The case is glass and the filter inside is clearly visible, so you can see what kind of junk is laying in there. Steve

Mine recomends replace air filter@200 hours oil filter@100 hours gas filter@200 hours trans oil filter@400 hour Stormy