Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vanguard, another engineering marvel...

SmilinSam

Must have had some John Deere engineers in on the design of the Vanguard. Never had one apart before . All I needed to do was rebuild the carb8) Found I had to take the shroud off to find the bolts holding the carb on. Found that the carbs on these are bolted to the manifolds from the underside of the manifold.(how nice)}:) One bolt is easily accessable from behind the shroud. The other is right down against the block, behind all the other gabooie to the front of the engine. Guess the manifold may have to come off too.}:) For you cheap engine hunters heres another piece of advice: never, and I mean NEVER buy an engine that was used on a pressure washer or water pump of any sorts. What a mess!!!! Rust and corrosion everywhere under the shroud. You ought to see the dual mags over the flywheel....they are all puffed up like the fat lady at the local circus! If you seen these things you'd wonder why the engine even runs? My big question is how much longer will it run with them in this shape???????? EEEEESHHHHHHH!!!!! What a mess......

Good tips Sam. My neighbors pressure washer started spitting and sputtering, (another Vanguard engine) He took the flywheel off just like you did, only to find tons of rust on the flywheel magnet. sanded it all off, and then ran like new.

careful with that rebuild Sam. I tried one and after not being able to get the main jet cleaned out I decided to take it out. It was stubborn and by the time I was done it was ruined. My dealer says they are not available. Mine was the non adjustable one on a 16 hp twin. Now I'm looking for a carb to go with my pile of parts.

Dan, All I'm after is freeing up the stuck float valve(at least thats what I hope it is). I'm spoiled by all the good and easy to work on Kohlers I got here. I took a carb apart on a magnum 18 last weekend and cleaned it and put it back together. Didn't even replace the bow gasket or float. It runs fine, and even I found that amazing...

cool, I was just letting you know. I wish someone had warned me ahead of time that I couldnt get a new main jet...lol

Dan , looks like most of these new ones I've seen are non adjustable. Looks like they want you to toss them and buy new ones when something goes bad... I don't have the money for that, so I try to stick with the older stuff.

Dan, I got a carb kit for my 18 horse Vanguard and there were two or three main jets in the kit, depending on the application. I don't know what your dealer is talking about, other than they may not be available seperately. Sam, Knowing the difficulty of removing these carbs, I clean them without removing them. I remove the plug over the main jet and use a screwdriver bit and a 1/4" drive, 1/4" socket and ratchet to remove it. Pat

yeah, I see the top cover comes off with 4 screws accessing the float and valve, so that wasn't too bad. Cleaned it out without removing it. Now I have to stick it in the 917 and see if it will run or not without having to pour gas in the carb. Might get to that point in a few days...

Interesting Pat. I bought a kit for this one. It had everything I needed in it except the correst main jet. Gonna have to do some research. If I can find the right jet in a different kit, the kits were only $14 so it would be better than another carb and I'm sure I can use the other parts elsewhere. By the way this jet didnt use a screwdriver for removal. Figuring that out was how I ruined it, it takes an allen wrench.

Try taking the starter off! I had a Vanguard 12.5 vertical shaft in a newer Broadmoor that I tried to remove the starter from. One bolt is out in the open,the other was buried!Ended up grinding down a 1/4 drive socket to almost nothing to be able to get it on the bolt.

Ken, On that particular engine, and all single cylinder Briggs vertical shaft engines from seven to seventeen horsepower (with the gear drive starter), you will notice two flat sides on the starter drive. Line up either side with the bolt, and you can slip a standard 3/8" drive socket on it. It won't go on straight, but straight enough to do the job. Another alternative is to remove the starter drive with the starter in place. With the drive removed, the bolt is easy to get at. Pat

The sealed jets on the carbs are to comply with the new emissions standards being set forth......they are factory set to ensure the emissions stay within the prescribed guidelines...... It is said that a traditional 3.5HP B&S lawnmower engine run for 1 hour produces as much pollutants as a car being driven for 300 miles.......