Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Spark Plug Gripe

pacodiablo

I decided to take out the spark plug on the MTD...another part that appears to have never been changed...well, turns out the base is bigger than usual. My socket would not fit around it and I don't have one that will. Why can't they make them all the same size?

I sometimes think that the companys are in with the engineers at the tool companys.This way they make it so you need to buy more tools,LOL Like those torks screws,why do we need those...the philips and slot screws worked good for years....

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Like those torks screws,why do we need those...the philips and slot screws worked good for years....
Acually, I was doing some work on the wife's car and had to go buy a torks socket. They couldn't stop at a set of screwdrivers. Steve

Spark plugs are most often either 13/16" or 5/8", Wisconsin engines were 7/8",smaller engines may be smaller. 'Torx' head screws do not cam out like 'Phillips' screws, Myself I prefer ' Robertson 'screws (the square ones). Don

Ok, being in the hotel maintenance field I came across a screw I've never seen before when I started at this hotel. This one holds the TV's down to the swivel base. It looks like an allen screw with a hole in the middle BUT this one didn't have 6 sides like an allen it has 5. I checked every tool shop, tv repair, and hardware store, finally had to file down a larger security allen socket wrench from 6 sides to 5 sides. Took me about 3 weeks of searching before I decided to file down the hardened steel socket and this took me about 1 1/2 hrs to get it precise. Now it sits right in my desk drawer under lock and key.

Kris Try this it may help. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=360-097&DID=7

Thanks Jon, I bought a set of these that cost me $135 and come to find out that one I needed wasn't there BUT I have every other kind of security bit that's made. I've come to the conclusion that the only way I'll find it is to go back to the building interior designer to find out who made the Tv swivel bases.:D The tool I made will last me probably 20 years if I don't lose it so I'm not hurting now. It was those moments when you had a full hotel with no wrench and just hope you didn't have to change a tv or vcr.B)

I agree When I was young we had 2 sizes 5/8 and 13/16 Now there's a few different sizes... As far as the Torx, they now have what they call security type.. they are torx with a little tip sticking up in the center... I think they should of just stayed with a allen screws...

quote:
Originally posted by pacodiablo
I decided to take out the spark plug on the MTD...another part that appears to have never been changed...well, turns out the base is bigger than usual. My socket would not fit around it and I don't have one that will. Why can't they make them all the same size?
I had the same problem with my engine. Try my method, I ended up breaking off the porcelin head, and putting an 18mm or 19mm socket on it, soaked the threads with oil, and it came right out.

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Stanchak
quote:
Originally posted by pacodiablo
I had the same problem with my engine. Try my method, I ended up breaking off the porcelin head, and putting an 18mm or 19mm socket on it, soaked the threads with oil, and it came right out.
Hmmm, I will need to try that.

Plug wrench sizes are different for different applications The 3 main plug wrench sizes are 5/8 13/16 7/8. The wrench sizes are standard while the tread sizes are metric.

I HAD only two spark plug sockets. Neither worked on my Mom's lawnmower. I went to Wal-Mart, and they sold a three-socket kit (from Stanley, I think) that included the one I didn't have. Now, I keep that little kit with it's plastic holder in my toolbox, so I know I always have the right size. It wasn't very expensive at all.

quote:
Originally posted by rokon2813
if your plugs are 18 mm then someone put motorcycle plugs in
The Spark plug that was in the engine was a Champion spark plug, CJ-8 I heard the Champion spark plug, J19LM was predecessor to the CJ-8.

I thought " the CJ-8 was made in the 70's on but the JI9LM was a newer plug that also will fit/replace the CJ-8 (at least I know it does on a Briggs cast-iron 16 hp). But I have been proven wrong before....

quote:
Originally posted by gretsch
I thought " the CJ-8 was made in the 70's on but the JI9LM was a newer plug that also will fit/replace the CJ-8 (at least I know it does on a Briggs cast-iron 16 hp). But I have been proven wrong before....
I believe that info to be correct, as I think I had saw it on Champion's website. This spark plug appeared to be original. There was no electrode, it was completly worn down to the base.