Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Freebie Gravely 816

johnmonkey

My next door neighbor gave me a gravely 816 with a two cylinder onan 16hp rear engine (I guess its 16 hp). The clutch was smoking pretty bad after I started it up. The hydrostatic lever for forward and reverse was jambed a litte causing the smoke and I got that freed up and the smoke stopped. It grinds a little going in to gear so I guess the clutch needs adjusting or replacement. The engine runs great. Does anyone know anything about the 816? is it a good tractor?? It does have hydraulic lift and a 48" mower deck that is HEAVY!!!! the transmission is heavy duty cast iron. Thanks for any help. PS does anyone the going rate for these 816's??? :D

These are great tractors, I owned an 812 for a short while but ended up selling it because I liked the cut of the Simplicity decks better. Check out ebay for some prices, I'd be interested but since I am neck deep in Simplicitys I doubt I'd get away with getting another tractor. (Especially one that doesn't blend in..;) ) I am not very familiar with the clutch setup on a Gravely, I know they have both a forward and reverse clutch but that is about my limit... The only real problem I remember on a gravely was the fact that you are sitting on top of the engine, this translates to more felt vibrations. (At least on my 812 it did.)

they wouldn't do you much good where you are I dont think but I have a snow plow and blower for those old gravelys

John, I don't know much about the 816, but the walk behinds that I used as a kid were indestructable. What do you have running now, Wards, AC710, Cub Cadet and now a Gravely? Didn't you have another one or two?

Rod, running; AC 710, Bolens 1050, Cub 102, MW Gardenmark (my main mower right now!), 7.5 gravely convertible (walker), and now the gravely 816 but the gears gring a little and does not properly go forwrd or reverse. Not running; 1960 simp 700 (but another friend gave me a model 19 that I think is a good runner and all I need to do is clean her up and bolt her in) -a parts 7.5 convertible that needs a new cylinder. -3410 Simp that needs a motor rebuilt. I guess that means I have 9 tractors now!! Jh