Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not free, but cheap.....

thedaddycat

I've found a lot of pics and stuff about the 4208 and 4211, but not too much(actually, nothing) about the 4210. This is not a mint one, but maybe it is uncommon... Anyone else out there ever hear of or see another 4210? Maybe this one will get a good cleaning and a little work. Supposedly it just needs some carb work to make it run though I've not yet fiddled with it.

Don't understand how this collector business works; why one model is worth more than another. For me, it's all a matter of looks. Like that '69 ad that called the Broadmoor "elegant." When Simplicity tried the same look on the previously, rounded Landlord, the proportions seemed off. Guess, beauty's in beholder's eye. On the 4210, the tale goes, they had a fellow at the factory, Paul Bunyon, who was enamored of the 10 HP Briggs engine. You know, stuff like, engine proportions, RPM, weight, resonant vibrations, and how it all matched up to the 4200 series tractors. Bunyon, who had a Buddist monk garu said, it made 'sweet music', and was in karmic harmony with the Universe. So they let him punch out a few experimental 4210's, thinking subliminally, it might sell more tractors. Well, the company president got wind of this, and thought Bunyon was just making wind, and killed the project. So, few 4210's were produced, making them worth $$$.

Pacodiablo, I know a guy who has two 11 Hp and one 12 Hp B/S vertical shaft engines that I can get from him. Will one of those carbs fit? I can get them at a very good price. I know at least one of the 11 Hp carbs is good because it was on a Murraay and I mowed my lawn with it early last year.

The 4000/4200 Series, plastic tower tractors you found, soldier on nicely. Lighter weight tractors w/36" decks make them easy to screw with, move around, deck removal/cleaning.

daddycat; the only reference I can find to 4210 is on the cover of the 4200 series parts manual it is listed. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1095_04_RG_S.pdf

According to the parts manual the product number is 1691541 According to the cross reference it has no A/C or other equivalent. Unless I'm missing something there is no other info on this site. Other than 10 hp 5 speed transmission. If thats all there is I would guess it may very well be rare.

I have two other 4200 series manual in my computer and there is no mention of a 4210 one is 4200 series and the other is 4200H series Check the print dates the 4200 series with the 4210 was printed 1992 which makes the 4210 model a newer tractor at the most it is 11 years old. Dan the manual you posted is for 4200G series manual Dan posted Printed 1992

The other two I have 4200 series Printed 1983

4200 series Hydro Printed 1988

Dcat, Can you pull the serial no. from the motor, if original, will give time parameter when tractor was built. A

I have an '86 4208 mfg #1691027 which appears in the 12LTG and 4200G Parts Catalogue above. It is referred to in the catalogue, as a 'latter model' than the 4210 mfg #1691541, so I'm guessing Dcat's 4210 is about a 85-86 model. Both, also appear in the RTG Owner's Manual and RTG/LTG Parts Cat.

Well, this is what Simplicity has to say about the 4210.... "Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:13:42 CST Subject: your inquiry 4210 To: thedaddycat@yahoo.com From: "James S Tubman" <Jst@smimail.com> | This is spam | Add to Address Book Dear Mr. Waggoner, We have received your recent e mail. The 4210 was only one version of that series of unit. It originally came out in the 70's and was built until 1991. There were some variations in it and one of them was the 10 hp version you have. It was made in 1988 & 89. It was a mfg no 1691541. It was intended as promo model back then and was only offered those 2 years. The basic tractor was the same as the other gear models however. Hope the info helps. Sincerely, Jim Simplicity Service Dept" Oh yeah, here are the engine numbers... Model 255707, Type 0110 01, Code 89020331

Dcat Did you ask him about that Simplicity engineer, Paul Bunyon, designer of the 4210, mentioned on Page One, of this topic? Bunyon was unique. He is said to have had, a blue Ox named 'Babe.' Surely in factory lore, they must talk about him up there. What's the Serial No. on your engine Dcat??? If original, the 1st two digits may yield the production year (engine at least). Your 4210 still, MAY not be an 88-89 but a 85-86, pre-production, limited edition, 'Paul Bunyon Signature Edition,' same item, for which some zanny fellow was claimed to have paid 4,800.00 at a farm auction, for a mint one. A

Hey dcat, You can pull those engine nos from the front of your 4210. After you raise the hood, you should be able to see them above the spark plug on the engine shroud. If rusted, or dirty, some WD40 or oil helps make them visible. Think first no. is model, code, then serial no. First 2 digits in ser. # are the year of mfg. You can probably get better directions from someone more knowledgable here, or the Briggs site on how to find them, but this is the general idea. Can anyone else help dcat find his engine numbers? Oh, if your head's too big, to get in behind the hood, you might be able to use a mirror. a

Yes you did Dcat! I'm a freak'in idiot! Or I can't read. Well, it's an '89 promo like they said-a rare bird indeed! I love the '86 4208 I just picked up. The 4200's work fine. Hope you can get'er running!