Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

restoring allis chalmers 410

72ac410

when anybody in here restores there tractors do you paint the motor the color of the tractor or same as it was.tractor is done now time to paint motor.motor is a kohler 241 which is black now.all the guys i know that restore paint the motor the color of the tractor.i think it would look nice orange but might be to much.please help me deside.

B-1, early B-10 and Big Ten all had body color engines and transaxles, later versions had black. Do you want original or?

For what it's worth; the Cast Iron Kohler motors all came Gloss Black. You've got the best motor in your tractor, why change its color?? The contrast makes for a really nice looking package.

Mike My buddy Charlie has 2 AC 410 tractors a M and a S On both tractors the motor , transaxle ,steering collum and it's coller are black. The hood , seat pan, mower deck and wheels are off white cream? the rest frame resr fenders around the grill shifter front axle are orange

Check out this link it shows the correct colors real well. http://www.simpletractors.com/models/ac_400_series.htm

Being a newbie i may be out of line here but my feeling is do what puts the biggest smile on your face, if you are thinking of restoring it to sell it then you may want to keep it original.

I agree with Boney,however when I repaint something I like to keep it as close to original as I can.Except when I do custom paint jobs for others on their Harleys and old show cars...I like doing the custom painting but not sure it would really look good on the tractors...might try it once someday though

I agree with Mowerman When I restore I try and keep them as close to original as I Can... If I gonna Fix to get rid of I paint it original if I'm gonna keep it and use it then it doesn't matter as much...

well thanks for the tips.maybe i should paint the 410 m orange and paint the 410 s black since i have two i can see which one will look better.p.s.where can i get a manual for a k241.forget where some parts go.and also would a 12 hp kolher that runs but smokes when you start it be worth 350.00.