Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel Gear Box

LeoB

Quick question. Does anyone know if the bevel gear box out of a B-110 will work with a B-112. Dan has one that I'm interested in, but I'm concerned about the Variable Speed feature on the B-112. I think Kent had mentioned that the B-112 BGB has a longer output shaft to accomodate the wider pulley.

The short answer is no, it will not directly swap out with the B-112 BGB. The longer answer is that if you're willing to disassemble and swap out the cross shaft then it will probably not be a problem. Here are two BGB units. The front one is for a three speed and the back one is for a variable speed. Notice how much longer the cross shaft is to accomodate the moving variable speed pulley? It also has the threaded end for the nut to hold the pulley on. With the variable speed set up the inner half of the BGB pulley moves and the outer half of the tranny pulley also moves at the same time but in the opposite direction. The three speed pulley is keyed and has a set screw.

This is the variable speed pulley set up with linkage, removed from (I think) an Allis 310. See how much wider these pulleys are than a straight pulley? That's why you need the longer shaft....

Not only are the pulleys wider, so is the belt. The straight belt is on the left, variable belt on the right.

Thanks for the answer daddycat. That is what I suspected and needed to confirm. I love the photos in your answers, it makes everything crystal clear. Do you take these shots to answer the particular questions or do you just have this fabulous library of tractor photos?

I take pics to save typing, since the going rate is 1000 words per.... LOL Serioiusly though, I have a lot of stuff around and a decent camera. Sometimes I go out and take the pics I want to show, sometimes I have them already and just call them up or link a post where I've already posted them. In this case, I have a shot of those BGBs already but it was easier to take another than to look for the first pic. Since I wanted to show other stuff like the pulleys and belts, I just went out and took the shots I needed and posted them right off the flash card.

That pulley setup does look to be 310. My BGB is bad, and I need to replace it, and I think I've found one here in the group. The one thing I don't like is the inability on my 310 to turn off the rear PTO. Has anyone put a clutched pulley setup (like the front PTO) off the BGB from a later model AC or Simplicity that can be wired for a switch to turn it off? Is it possible?