Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
burnerbrown

bad cutting deck

burnerbrown
My mower leaves a 3" strip of grass longer than the rest. It would be about the right side of the left blade on my 48" deck which has 3 blades. It also is worse when rounding corners. I keep the blades sharp and have been moving the left blade while the other are stationary but this has not corrected the problem. Is there a correct or best way to stagger the blades?

hufhouse
Have you *FOLLOWED* all of the deck leveling instructions in your manual? Put another way: Have you followed *ALL* of the deck leveling instructions in your manual? I was guilty of saying "no" to both of these questions at one time. First, I read the first part of the instructions and assumed I knew what they were saying and the deck wasn't level. Then, I read them again and realized I read them wrong and did it differently, but not completely. Finally, I did it all again really following the directions and ALL of the directions and it worked. If you have already leveled the deck, then the problem could be a wrong blade. All of the blades should be the same length. Make sure the arbors are greased. That arbor might be binding a little. Make sure the idler pully is working correctly on the deck and the belt is in good shape. Make sure the blade is sharp and balanced. After all that, if it still cuts weird, then you probably ARE cutting too fast. Good luck! Let us know how everything works out!

burnerbrown
Thanks for the info. Cutting too fast could be the problem, I'll slow down and see, but I don't understand how the deck leveling could be the culprit. If you looked at a pass I made with the mower, the overall height of the grass is consistant except for one 3" wide strip. blades are the same length and sharp, I will check out the manual and let you know when I figure it out. Thanks.....

Bunky
I never have never leveled my Decks and I need to do this.. I don't have a manual does someone have a copy of the leveling instructions??????? I guess it could be your mowing to fast but why would that only effect the one side??????

hufhouse
The reason I mention deck leveling is because I have noticed that I get a strip of grass clippings which do not eject just under the left blade of my 48" deck if I do not have the deck leveled front-to-back and/or I do not have the deck clean. I would start with leveling, but I think the problem could also be arbor- or belt-related. I'll be interested to see what you find out. I'm always looking for ways to improve the cut of my deck. Bunky - is your manual available on simplicitymfg.com? What tractor/deck?