Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 707 won't mow

simplicity707

hello, i'm new to this so i hope that you will all help me out. i just got done restoring a simplicity 707 broadmoor the other day. i couldn't wait to get done so i could see if it would mow. i hooked the mowing deck on it (32") put the belt on it, fired it up, put the throttle half-way down, and engaged the blades, and then lowered the deck. when i started to go in the grass, the mower deck almost stops, so i half to raise the deck so the blades will pick up speed and they do, so i put the deck back down and they stop again. this also happens when the deck is all the way up. also, i just bought a 1964 simplicity broadmoor thats been sitting for 3 years:D. when i got it the engine was stuck, so i had to replace, but inorder for it to mow i need the double engine shaft. does anybody know where i could find one? one more question, are these broadmoors rare because i was told by the guy that i bought if off of said it was really rare.i didn't know whethere to believe him or not. he bought it from the original owner, he threw out the manuals in the trash because he said he was going to have the tractor smashed, so i told him that i would buy it and tinker with it. i really hope someone could help me because i'm only 15 years old. i just love the vintage simplicity garden tractors. i just joined, so i hope ya'll can help me out. thanx,,dave p

Welcome to the club.... Do you have new belts on it??Might need to adjust the PTO belt or the idler pulley on the deck is froze up and not letting it move freely to put tension on the belt... I would'nt say that these Broadmoors are rare.At least in my area..I have 3 of them and a newer 728 model..

Welcome , I had a problem with my 6216 doing the same thing. I just needed a fuel pump rebuild kit.I had a small hole in one of the rubber pieces on the carb. I have also heard of this happening with a bad fuel or air filter. Good luck. Im sure someone on here will help you if my info doesnt......Welcome aboard....Scot

thanx guys for the replies. i did buy a new mower deck belt because when i bought the tractor, it had been sitting in a barn, so when i got it home to mow, the mower belt flew into pieces not 5 minutes into mowing. thanx again dave p.

Watch the pulleys. See what is stopping or slipping. It could be the deck belt and not the pto belt slipping. Or it may be an adjustment that is to slack.

Dave Welcome to the club My first suggestion is to make sure it has the right belts OEM Simplicity belts work the best and last the longest. The correct belts for your tractor and mower deck are 32" rotary mower P.T.O. Belt# 1666801 Length 80.1" Type HA Arbor Drive Belt# 156120 Length 63.1" Type HA This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php

When the deck stops mowing, do you smell anything like burnt rubber? That is a good sign that the belts are still trying to turn. If not, you may need to work on the tension adjustment. (I'm assuming that the engine is not lugging down when the mowing stops.) Steve

If the engine is running properly and the blades stop spinning under load, then there almost has to be something wrong between the PTO and the blades. As someone else said, check the idler pullies on the PTO and on the deck itself. Obviously, the belt should be good and tight, and the V-grooves should be seated in a V-pulley and the flat side on a flat pulley. No twisting. Make sure that you are using the correct pulley on the PTO. Look at the belt on the deck. You might have to remove a couple of shrouds to see the deck belt and pulleys. Make sure that belt is tight, the correct OEM part number, and that all the pulleys are turning freely. Finally, grease the arbors really good. I guess it's possible that something is wrong with the PTO, but that's beyond my abilities at this point. Hope this helps. Let us know.

Dave: I have a new respect for Idler pulley's. Last fall I thought I was having some serious engine problems on my 9020. When I ran the deck the motor would pull down slowly, like it was low on power. I took the carb apart and the fuel pump to no avail. I parked the tractor and finish the season with a Kubota. This spring I decided to tear into the 9020. I took off the deck to clean and sharpen the blades and noticed that the spindles were stiff. I took the top covers off and found that the idler was completly frozen and the tension arm was shot. The belt had been sliding across the pulley I could tell from the grooves in the belt. After replacing the idler and given a good cleaning the darn thing runs like new.

I had similar problems, but my engine would bog down slightly. First time it happened was after I replaced the belt between the PTO and deck. It has a 90 degree twist in it. Make sure you twist it the right way, otherwise the blades go backwards:D and gives the appearance of blades slowing down when going into grass - not to mention it cuts like crud.:D:D The second time it happened only when the blades were up. The deck was getting raised up too high and caused the belt to rub hard against the deck mounting frame and also the deck rubbed on the bottom PTO pulley. Yes I know these are rookie mistakes, but this rookie made them and learned.:p BTW: welcome to the club.

thanx guys for all of the information. the belt size really helped. i have just been busy because it's junk day here in cambridge illinois, and while looking through a pile of stuff, i noticed an allis-chalmers B-208 sitting in a grassy field. the guy was out, so i asked if it was for sale. we went back and he told me i could take it for free, except it didn't have the engine. as i was looking at it, it looks identical to the simplicity broadmoors. i couldn't believe it. he said it hadn't moved in quite awhile, 'cause when we tried to move it,it wouldn't move. i'm going tomorrow to take a better look. as for the belts, i'm going to look in to those tonight, and see if it is and OEM simplicity belt. does anyone have any info on the allis B 208, i'm not if thats the right #, because it was partly rusted, but i did know it is a vertical shaft engine. thanx again.

Grab that B-208.:D Check them out here: http://www.simpletractors.com/models/b_series/take_charge.htm and here: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/b-207_%26_b-208.htm

UPDATE, though not a good one. i was having some carburetor problems with it for awhile, not thinking anything of it thought. well, i tightened the belt a lot, so it looks like it would work, so when i went to start it, a couple of flames shot up from the carburetor. now i need a carburetor kit. i thought it would at least be mowing by december!! thanx

• 2 weeks later...
i just got the old broadmoor going again. it now cuts grass really well. we adjusted the carburetor and tightened the belt and it cuts good, but the cutting deck is loud. anybody know why that is? thanx,,dave p.

Sounds like your mower deck needs bearings. I had the same thing on my 717. Just finished this afternoon putting new bearings on the 3 belt snowblower and it sure made a BIG difference. Picked up the new bearings at Farm and Fleet for $9.00

I have a B-208. From the photos I've seen on this site, it's basically the same as a Broadmoor. I've taken the B- 208 manual from this site and converted it to a PDF format. If you or anyone else is interested, I'll email you a copy. Skot sparkiso@bsu.edu

All manuals are available for downloading in pdf format from the site I posted above including Allis chalmers manuals. Operatetors, parts and repair manuals are available on all models made by Simplicity for Allis Chalmers, Homelite, Montgomery Wards. There are manuals for all attachments, Accessories and kits. Some you have never seen or heard of.

I don't believe there are any Operators manuals for any of the B Series Allis Chalmers tractors available from the Simplicity site. There are Simplicity Operators manuals that can be used for the equivalent B Series tractors. The B206, B207,and B208 Allis Chalmers, of coarse, have no Simplicity equivalent and there are no Operators manuals for them at the Simplicity site. There are Repair manuals and Parts manuals for these tractors at their site.

guys, i just mowed the whole yard today with it and it cut good, BUT i think that it will need new bearings as it is loud when going. i'm afraid the neighbors will complain it's too loud. what is the bearing size i need or is there one. how long does it take to put them in? i can still mow with it, but when you engage them it gets loud. thanx for the advice,, dave p.