Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plastic bodywork...

pacodiablo

To sum it up, it is not fun. The previous owner put a nice crack in the plastic hood of the MTD...first I tried to JB it, but that did not work. So, today I decided to melt it back together. Seems easy right? Wrong. I melted some spare plastic, then sanded it down, but it did not seem secure enough. This time I heated a section of the hood where the crack was to join the two sides. Well, it holds, but it is also pitted and looks like bad rust would on a metal hood. Tomorrow I will go back and even everything out with JB...hopefully that will work. BTW - the whole reason the hood is cracked is because the previous owner could not take the time to align body panels correctly. Want to sell me the JC Penny's hood daddycat? LOL.

We covered plastic welding in autobody class.That was 15 years ago and I have never had to do anything like that..All I know is the welder looked like a heat gun and you had plastic rods of all different types.You had to know what type of plastic you was going to be welding as to get the right type of rod...

Harbor freight tools sells a plastic welding kit for less than 30 bucks. It comes with a few rods. www.harborfreight.com I think.

I've got one of those Harbor Freight plastic welders I would sell for $20 with extra rods. I tried to use it on the plastic nose of my wifes 86 Dodge Daytona but just couldn't get into the area very well. I was trying to weld it from the back side to keep from destroying the paint. I bought it with the hopes this would be the cheap fix but no such luck. Good luck with your repair! PeppyDan

I am thinking of scraping the hood...I will tell you if I decide not to and need a plastic welder.

Well, here we go again. I melted it into place. It seemed to stay. I filled in the bumps and uneven spots with JB Weld. I sanded and sanded (I need to buy a mask before I die of the sander's equilvalent of black lung) and it looks better...not good, better. I will work on it more tomorrow or the next day and see how it turns out. I am thinking of just buying a mig welder and making my own metal hood...I hate plastic, and that is one disadvantage of not owning an older tractor. If this does not work out, I may buy the grill and fenders off of an older tractor and retrofit those to work on mine.

Why not get rid of the JB weld and find another GOOD hood on Ebay. I've never found repairing a crack in plastic to be good and lasting and have never found using JB weld to be a good repair either. BUY another hood you'll be better off in the long run. Save your money from repairing that hood over and over again. You might want to email this EBay seller and ask him if he has the other part of this Hood. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2331560698&category=20544[/url] [img]http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_6978e7b6406897445dcd25a7198dc9d4/i-1.JPG[/img]

I have been looking on eBay. Unfourtunately the hood on my tractor is quite rare...I have only seen one other like it. It does have a very popular twin, the "Yard Machines" line, but the YMs have different sheetmetal and the hood will not fit. I am thinking a retrofitted fender/hood/grille assembly from another kind of tractor or making a new metal hood may be the best way out.

Paco, do you have a pic of the hood? I could see the mount in your other post and it looks familiar like I might have one. Mtd made so many brands something else almost has to fit we just need to figure out which ones. If we can figure a suitable replacement then maybe you can find one around the area. I know that fender mounted shifter was available on Mtd, Hechingers, Agway, White, Dynamark and probably others so out there somewhere are the right body parts.

I will get some shots of the hood tomorrow and where it mounts. Thanks for any help on this.

Paco, Keeping you in mind while surfing the EBay. Yo might want to look at this hood (brand new) Kris [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2332131086&category=22654[/url] [img]http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_5d2887be0064e33d7ebab21f5b8fb3bb/i-1.JPG[/img]

Thanks. I am going to e-mail the seller... I checked the diminsions...that one is too short. Thanks for posting though!