Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
pacodiablo

More Metal

pacodiablo
Turns out the JB Weld I am so fond of did not hold. It had become rubbery and peeled off of the tractor where I had done some body work. I have decided it is time to get the real thing. I want something that cuts and welds, and I found this @ Northern Tool ... http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=565&categoryId=114 ... I was wondering if anyone had used this tool or something similar and could give some feedback...also, has anyone seen less expensive ones?

HubbardRA
It is an oxygen-acetyline welding set. I spent several years using a similar unit to fix broken parts on the small farm that my family had. These units are better known for their cutting and brazing abilities than for welding. Once you learn how to use oxy-acetyling it is very easy to weld thin metal. I did a lot of exhaust systems with the one we had. It is capable of doing nearly all of the cutting and welding and bending that you will need on a garden tractor. But be prepared, the refill price of the gases is not cheap. This is probably one of the most expensive ways to weld.

stumpy
Hmmmm....that looks like a right handy little set-up, and the price isn't bad either. One thing to be aware of if you find an oxy-acetylene torch and tanks used. Sometimes they may be bargain-priced but not much of a bargain, even if like-new. Not sure if it's the rule in all states across the board (ie: Federal law), but the tanks need paperwork, meaning a "title" of ownership. A few years back I took my big, old tanks in for a refill/exchange. I was informed that they were no longer legal and had to be "confiscated" because I had no "paperwork" on 'em, and without paperwork they won't refill the tank making them pretty much useless.