Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CaseyM

Air Filter Tip

CaseyM
I learned a lesson I should not have needed the other day when I got in a hurry and started the Simplicity 5010 that came to me in almost mint condition before I completed the necessary servicing. I checked the oil and changed it, I drained the gas and put in fresh, I removed the starter switch and cleaned it and other contacts as well and checked the safety switches for continuity, I put in a new battery and started the engine. I should have pulled the old filter element before starting the tractor. The filter was dry and disintegrating and although the engine ran fine or relatively well after a long period setting unused it soon developed a problem because it was sucking the old foam rubber into the carb. I now have to clean the old foam out. Not a serious problem but a messy one that could have easily been avoided if I would have removed what was left of the old filter and replaced it before running the engine. I didn't expect the filter to be so far gone, but I won't make that mistake again.

thedaddycat
I checked the B-112 when I first got it, that filter was going but would work until I got a new one which I did shortly thereafter. The 3310 H was so bad that there was not even enough left to tell what it was.... It's a good idea to do a complete servicing on your "new" toys just to be sure. Change the oil in the engine/BGB/tranny, check air filter, fuel filter(I put one on if it doesn't have one and a shutoff valve too), points and condensor, grease it up, check battery and terminals, etc... Since I try to get the old ones that are no longer wanted, they usually have not been cared for either so it's even more important to do a good job. That's why I got the $$OEM hydro filter for the Vickers, just to be sure......