Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Steering Fix Tricks - Homelite T12

PhanDad
I'd appreciate any tricks for permanently fixing the steering "slop" in my Homelite T12 tractor. See attached parts schematic below. I've repaired it before by having the hole in the end of the drag rod welded closed and redrilling the hole and reassembling as OEM. But the same problem keeps reoccurring - the hole elongates and the steering becomes sloppy. I've thought maybe replacing the spacer (part #53) with a permanently lubed sealed bearing would do the trick - but I haven't had any luck finding a bearing this small. I've looked at several of the older tractor steering setups, and I haven't found any that match the Homelite design. Are any of the older setups robust? Could they be easily adapted to the Homelite? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

darylcress
I replaced all steering linkages on my B10 and 716H with Aurora rod ends as well as put Aetna thrust bearings under the spindles. The Allis tractors had ball ends on the drag link, but not the tie rod. This improvement helped significantly in required force.

Stoneheartfarm
Kind of tough to tell, but some of the major parts appear very similar to those found on the B110 and 210 series. Parts 11-14 and 60 appear suspiciously like those found on my 210. I'm wondering if you could rework the steering using parts off one of these tractors. There could be someting specific to the T12 steering that is causing the problem.

DaleC
Daryl, I like your idea for tie rod ends. I replaced the bald tires that came on the front of my B-12 with new ones and I maker tighter turns now but they are a lot harder to crank around. I have play at the steering gears themselves and looked at but not tried to adjust them yet. I surely will investigate the modifications that you have mentioned. Thanks for the tip