Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

how to repair mower spindles?

slo383

how do you get the bearings off the arbor shaft? bearing or 2/3 arm puller? how do you get the bearings back on? arbor press? do the housings with grease fittings ( if greased and cleaned regularly) help the bearings last longer? simplicity 7117h w/ 48" deck thanks sam couldn't find the answer via search.

Sam, after pulling the arbor from the housing I have used a traditional freestanding two rail hydralic garage press with various plates and bushing pushers.......this is for both the removal of the old bearings as well as replacement of the new bearings...... as far as the grease fittings......most new bearings come with dust shields that must be removed in order for the grease to be effective.... I have repaired both ways....leaving the dust-shields on and not greasing, and removing the dust shields and insert zerks in the arbors shell...... Your choice.....

I just leave them sealed and use them like that.. I have heard of people pulling off 1 seal and putting that in so they could grease them also. Never done that... As far as taking them apart and that use a Hydraulic press....

Never had access to a press, so I've always just poundedmine out. Course, they've been ready to fall out by then anyway. I believe the grease fitting is to keep the shaft greased so you can remove it easier. Steve

I just aquired a 7117H with 48 deck. It appeares as though the deck sat out in the rain or snow and water settled on top of the arbors and seeped in. The spindles were frozen and when I took them apart saw that there as not a drop of grease inside. Also, the bearings, shafts and insides of the arbor housings wee completely rusted. I also noticed that the arbo rhusings were not designed with grease fittings. I went to the Simplicity dealer and purchased a complete set of bearings, shafts and arbor housings ($350). I see that the arbor housings are now fitted with zerks. Here are my questions... the parts list I downloaded from the internet shows a foam gasked on the spindle shaft between the bearings. I purchased the shaft and bearings as a set with bearings installed but the set did not incclude the foam gaskets. Also the dealer's parts diagram did not did not picture them. Do I need these foam gaskets? What are they for? the Dealer could not tell me. Secondly, should the bearings be lubricated before the arbors are assembled or, is it enough to assemble the arbors and grease through the zerks?

according to ron at jack's small engines, for the "gasket eliminator" one can get that from an auto parts store. i assume it is just a "caulk of some sort." i'll use a thin layer of silicone. Surely the gasket just helps keep stuff out of the inside area with the bearings. Did the pulleys come with your parts? if not, $350, seems a little high to me. lubrication before assembly, i don't know about for sure but i will lube before i assemble the items, and clean all the bolts. ymmv sam