Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MDB

Bolt deck

MDB
Here are some pics. of the mower deck that I bought from club member Rockon 2813,

It looks pretty solid for a 40+ year old mower deck8D

No rust holes or thin spots and only one crack right ahead of the center spindle, an easy weld job. While the deck was apart I replaced all of the spindle bearings and the belt idler.

Sanded and primed,

Finally YELLOW8D:D [img]/club2/attach/MDB/boltdeck-14.jpg[/img] Does it look any better Dan???;):D

MDB
I've converted a couple over to springloaded idlers, you just have to figure out where to drill the hole for the pivot bolt on the idler arm.The last time I checked all the parts were still avalable from Simplicity. I hope that helps you out.:)

ReedS
Mike, Another fine looking paint job! How are you prepping your parts?Are you sandblasting them or using a chemical stripper? What type of primer are using? I ask because I have blasting my 700, then applying a self etching primer followed by a primer/surfacer. I was also told that using an epoxy primer will also help retard the return of rust, but I haven't really gotten past the self etching primer stage yet.

rokon2813
Very nice Mike. Your going to have a fine looking unit. Glad I could contribute. Id rather see this old stuff restored and used instead of sitting around and rotting away.

MDB
Reed, I use a 5" orbital sander, I start with 80 grit to knock off the worst of the old paint and rust, then sand again with 180, wipe everything down with thinner then use a tack cloth right before painting to pick up any dust or dirt that I missed. The primer is fast drying sandable type that is pretty easy to work with. I think the next project I do is going to be sandblasted, all this hand sanding takes to much time...:p Dan, thanks for helping out getting the deck to me, it's really going to make a great addition to the B1...8D

MDB
REED, I went out to the shop and looked and the primer is Omni MP 181-1K primer surfacer mixed 1to1 with Omni MR 185 Fast Reducer, It is a really easy product to work with, If I can use it anyone can use it.....:p;):D

ReedS
Thanks for the info on your paint, I'll keep that in mind as I continue with the 700. I'm not sure that sand blasting is any quicker, while it does leave a nicely finished piece it makes a mess and is takes some time to do a large part. Not to mention getting all that sand in your hair. Ugh!:p

ReedS
Mike,your right to use a resperator, I painted my boss's horse trailer frame (sand blasted it too) and would have been impossible without a full face resperator,although I could still taste and smell it![V][:0]:( I was mainly interested in your method of prepping, whether or not you were blasting,sanding or using a stripper and how you were dealing with rust as well as what you were doing for priming. From what I can see you seem to be doing something right, as both the deck and the tractor look awesome. I'm wishing my 700 was done right now.:( If only I could squeeze 48hrs into 24......