Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GTHL

rocko

I INQUIRED ABOUT A '92 GTHL IN THE PAPER YESTERDAY. IT HAS A 17HP ENGINE,48" DECK, NO ATTACHMENTS AND 400 HRS. ON IT. I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS TRACTOR. THE GUY IS THE ORIGINAL OWNER AND CLAIMS IT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. HE'S ASKING $1,850 FOR IT. IS THIS A FAIR PRICE FOR THIS MACHINE? THANKS, MARK

Guess it kind of depends on how bad you want it. Is the tractor worth it? Probably, especially if it's in as good of shape as he says. One thing that would increase it's value is whether or not it has the hydro lift. Would I pay that much? Probably not, 2 1/2 yrs ago I bought an '83 7116H, with the hydro lift, 48" deck, 2 vac units and the dump trailer for $900. It was in excellent condition and probably didn't have very many more hours than that '91. On the other hand to buy this tractor new would run you in the $4-5000 range. (Assuming you could even find one. I know of two brand new MF branded Sovereigns (2418h's I think) that are 3-4 yrs old, the dealer wants to move badly. He is asking $4500 or so for either one, probably make someone a real nice deal on both. :D )

That's too much. I posted my 17gth-l on this website along with a 48" deck ,snowblower,plow,cab etc. for $1500 and not even a call. I did this a few times over a year or so. Finally I sold it locally for 1500. It's a nice garden tractor, If I had the need, I'd have another.

Mark, I gave $1100 for my 17GTH-L last spring from the local Simp. dealer. It had about 450 hrs on it. The dealer had sold it new and done all service and repairs on it. Rob, the "L" in GTH-L stands for hydraulic lift. The GT stands for garden tractor and the H stands for hydrostatic drive. Hope this helps you Mark. And yeah I would not trade mine for ??????. Its the best tractor Ive owned so far, even though I love my B-10 and 3012V. Larry

Hi The 17 GTHLis the same as the 7117H basically. The same year in their infinite wisdom, they also made a 17 GTH. The GTH is basically a 6516H with a 17 Kohler M17V engine. I called Simplicity an begged them to continue to use numbers like 71xx etc. Can you imagine from a dealer standpoint what it is like for someone to have their wife or friend stop in for parts with GTH and GTHL being different families? Larry is correct the L stands for Hyd Lift, which is only on this tractor. This is the tractor that came back after this family was killed for a year. One version 17hp, no 19s. AFter a years absence, Dealers asked for it and Simplicity said OK, we will build it as long as you sell it. When the numbers get below a certain point it is gone. I belive it survived about 8 or 9 years, as the GTHL and the Sovereign. About 20 years for the line. Price? We would get 2000 to 2100 for it, but would sell it with a warranty after it had been completly gone over. Al Eden