Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

anyone have any push mower recommendations?

Nick

My parents are looking for a new, well built push mower and would like recommendations on different brands & models. Here is what we are looking for: Push or self propelled, Side Discharge, If it comes with a bag + side discharge that is ok too. But we don't want one just with a bagger. Preferably under $350.00 It will be used to cut 3/4 of an acre, till the B-110 is finished, and then be used to cut under 1/4 of an acre where the B-110 can't or we don't want it to go. We already ruled out Craftsman, and big box store brands. I looked at the Gravely walking tractor, and got sticker shock when I saw the $5,000 price tag, and then you had to purchase the deck and wheels separately. Thanks, Nick

I dont pay that much attention to the brands on push mowers. Does Simplicity still make one? John Deere used to have a pretty good one. So did Ariens. Ransomes used to build a "tank" but I think the price was higher than what you want. Cub Cadet has one but its built by MTD and you have to pay for the name. Our simplicity dealer also sells X-Mark. They are commercial walk-behinds, dunno if they have a small pusher or not. I do know several guys who mow commercially with them and love them. I wouldnt rule out all the box store brands either. Alot of them are decent for under 200 and I've seen a few that are guaranteed to start on 1 pull. My brother in law just had me put new wheels on a Murray. Its used every week for about a 1/4 acre. He sharpens the blade twice a year, changes the oil every spring and the plug when it wont start on 3rd pull. Other than that, the wheels I just put on are the first repair its ever had and its 9 years old. My only other suggestion is if you get one that is push and not self-propeled get one with the big wheels on the rear. They push much easier. By the way I use a pusher very little but the one I have currently is probly 20 years old and says K-mart on it.

I have an XMark walkbehind that an old fella gave me a couple of years ago. It was blowing oil and wouldn't start. The local mower shop told him the engine was shot. I took it home and checked it out. I found that the head was real loose. I tightened it up and fired it up, runs perfect. I offered it back to the ol gent, but he had already bought a couple new mowers and didn't want it back. Anyway, it's been probably the best walkbehind I've ever owned. I think they may be pretty pricey new, but if you could find a used one, jump on it. They are built rugged, kinda like a good ol Simplicity.

Nick there are a couple of guys here that realy know their stuff, there are also a couple that .....well you know lol lol lol I think it is a good place to learn about newer { is this word ? } mowers. http://www.whatsthebestsnowblower.com/index.shtml

If you are looking in the 21" range, nothing cuts like a Snapper. I've had several self propelled Snappers that were all "Curb Depot" finds that I've brought back to life. Typically the deck and drive will last through at least 2 or 3 engines. I finally sprang for a brand new one last year, and added the front caster wheel kit. I looked at a Toro Personel Pace and did not like that you have to push on the handle to make it go, the Snapper will pull you along which can really save your energy for other chores.

I have a Murray with the big wheels like Dan mentioned it has no accessories but works great.I got it at wally world for around 150.00.It works good and the big wheels make it easier to push but they do have a problem.Mine is only a year old and already had to replace the handle(the bar)it snapped into down where it's connected to the deck.The parts man said it was quiet normal they are weak in that area.The other thing I don't like is having to hold down that second bar to keep it running...rubs blisters on my hands.The only other push mower I have owned is a Lawnboy.It's in the garage thats where it's been for a long time.No one attempted to fix it and still looks new.Let us know what you decide to buy and how well it preforms. Stormy

The best push mower I have ever owned is a Toro 3 speed. Bought it around 16yrs ago and it still starts on the first or second pull Everytime. Rear wheel drive, blade brake clutch, (Really nice, the engine stays running when you let go of the grip) rear discharge, but I ended up putting a new deck (See below) which is a recycler. Has a Suzuki 6hp engine on it, doesn't use any oil and the aluminum deck will never rust. Don't have any opinion on the new Toros as I have not used one. I do know that they no longer use the Suzuki engine which I think is a mistake. But when (If?) this one needs replaced I will be getting a Toro. (I also have a 20 yr old Toro string trimmer and it is going into the shop for the first time.) The only problem I have ever had was my wife having a penchant to run over rocks. Twice she has blown a chunk of the deck out. The first time I found the pieces and had it welded, the second time I ended up getting a new deck for it. I just sold a near new Husqvarna self-propelled, 5.5hp Briggs Diamond, large rear wheels, 3-way deck. Seemed like a nice mower, did a good job, just didn't have any use for it and didn't like the front wheel drive.

My friend Charlie is an auctioneer's helper Last year he was able to get me a troy-built mulcher self propeled for $80. 5hp B&S cleaned the carb changed the oil and washed and reoiled air cleaner. Starts on the first to third pull. One twist handle on the deck for hight adjustment. They also make a bagger and a side discharge kit for it but I don't have it. Only problem I lost left front hubcap in tall grass trail mowing for landlord last week. Stormy my only dislike is the goverment required safety pull down and hold bar just like yours has.

Thanks all, It will be awhile before be buy one. I will remember all your recomondations when it finnaly is time for the old one to go. I was about to junk my 1971 20 inch push mower with a 3.5 B&S, because the gas tank bolt hole threads are finnaly stripped, and the gas tank is being held on by duct tape. Someone in my neigborhood suggested a heli-coil to remedy the problem. It also seems there is oil leaking from underneath the flywheel. Is that possible? I did have it on it's side for two years so that might be why. Darn! why did I have to sell a perfectly good, Self propelled, 21 inch 4.5 B&S engine mower last year, Now I need it!

I agree with Ishmael. We have a Toro that I won on a raffle about 15 years ago.Always starts,does a great job of cutting. In the 15 years we've owned it,it's had 1 drive belt replaced,along with yearly oil changes,and spark plugs. Best $5.00 I ever spent!