Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wantedinct

Aerators ??

DaveM
I would have to say that plug is the best. I use a plug aerator every year before fertilizing, and I'm very happy with the results. It seems to me that the small holes or slits left by a spike-type aerator would seal over quickly once it rains. The plug-type leaves a much larger hole that lasts for a good while. The only drawback to the plug-type is the plugs it leaves behind. When it rains you end up with a pretty muddy yard to walk across. A couple of good rains will dissolve them, though, and the problem is gone. DaveM

Plug-plug-plug.I have a spike I rarely use-next to worthless.I rent a plug aerator once or twice a year,it has hard sharpened tines and works great.I bought one from Sears and sent it back as soon as I saw the tines-wouldn't cut it for what I need.I think the one I rent is similar to agrifab-anybody have one they can take a picture of so we can check it out?(I need to buy one also).Thanks-dogman

MPH
Carlie, are the agrifab's any more heavy duty then the sears?? I have a chance to buy one still in the box for 180 bucks, same guy I got my disc from for 140. Its not bad though I don't think it'll be around 30 years from now..MPH

mowerman1193
I read on another forum that the Agrifabs are heavier built than the Brinly.I also think they said that the ones at sears was either Brinly or made by Brinly.I think thats what was said anyway..I think I would check around and look before I bought one...

Marty-it's all about the tines.The Sears aerator is a Brinly,and heavy duty enough,I guess,but the tines are pretty blunt(although pointed),with a spring on each one to expel the plugs.The one I rent is not an agrifab,but similiar I think-and has very sharp "half moon" tines that really penetrate the hard stuff-I couldn't see the Sears unit working well in my soil,so I never even assembled it-just sent it back.I think it would work well enough in your average suburban lawn,but don't think it would suit my purposes.Just called the dealer,and the one I rent is a 'Trac-Vac'-very heavy duty,but around $600 new! If anybody can take a close-up picture of the tines on the agri-fab,I would like to see it.Charlie