Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
srwven

Need help finding a bolt

srwven
I need the hex capscrew for the front pto on a 7014S. The part number (923433) is no longer made. The parts manual shows it as a grade 5 3/8-14x1 3/4 bolt. I have looked at auto parts stores, hardware stores, lowes, and home depot and I cannot find a 3/8-14 thread, the coarsest I have found is 3/8-16 which does not work. Anybody have any ideas where to try, or hopefully have one?

Nick
Have you tried a store the deals strictly in nuts & bolts? I tried looking for you on the company McMaster-Carr's website, and couldn't find the capscrew you need. Is it possible that you could drill and retap it? I am sure there is someone else that would know more on that subject. [url]http://www.mcmaster.com/[/url]

srwven
Yep, even tried that. Nothing 3/8-14. Dealer even thought the 14 was a mistake, maybe should be 24, but that is what the parts manual lists. Does anybody know if it is a mistake? I guess I can try a fine thread when I get home.

Nick
quote:
Originally posted by srwven
Yep, even tried that. Nothing 3/8-14. Dealer even thought the 14 was a mistake, maybe should be 24, but that is what the parts manual lists. Does anybody know if it is a mistake? I guess I can try a fine thread when I get home.
I went to their webside and couldn't find it for you. I guess you read my entry before I edited my post.

bhenry
I just looked up the parts manual for a 7014 (1690474) and on the last page are torque specs. They only list 2 grade 5 3/8bolts and they are 3/8-16 @30 Ft.Lbs and 3/8 24 @35Ft.Lbs. Therefore it must be a typo, otherwise we would see a torque specs for it.

srwven
The more I look, the more I think it is a typo too. I don't think a 3/8-14 even exists. My 7014 is 1690337 so I will check the torque specs on that parts manual, but they are probably the same. UPDATE: Just checked my parts manual and it also only lists two 3/8 bolts-16 and 24.

jkmustang1
I don't see how it can be 14 pitch thread. That would be a specal order bolt and those have a high per unit cost. I worked for a while in the stockroom of a crankshaft maker. some of the pins and bolts and other parts for the tooling were very high dollar. It most likely is a 24 pitch common fine.

HubbardRA
I just looked through a Machinerys Handbook. They show 3/8 bolts with 12,16,20,24,30,32,40 tpi, but no 14 tpi. The only 3/8-14 tpi that I could find was for an Acme thread, and I know the thread you have is not an Acme.

PhanDad
The parts list for my Homelite T12 front PTO calls for a 3/8-24 x 1-1/8" capscrew. The engine is cast iron Briggs with 1" dia shaft. So I also believe the 14 pitch is a misprint. I have a bunch of WWII era aircraft bolts and I used one of those when I needed to replace my PTO bolt. I most likely have one in the length you need, but I'm not sure what grade it is. If you'd like one, let me know.