Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Belts

LeoB

I thought I'd update you guys on my mower belt issue. I had purchased a new set of belts for my B-112 with a 48" deck and I found that the belt that went from the PTO to deck was a bit tight and every time I'd engage the PTO, it'd throw the belt. I decided rather then tear up a new belt, I'd put the belt on the smaller pulley on the PTO and try mowing for night and then try it again on the larger pulley the next time I mowed. It wasn't throwing the belt off the small pulley. Well, it worked out fine. Last night I move the belt back over to the larger pulley and engaged it PTO. The belt stayed on and I got a much better mowing job. I was cutting the last of the field, the grass was at least 2 feet deep. I just put it in 2nd gear and in the 2 range on the variable speed selector and let her walk through the grass. It did a great job! I've read here where people were having the same type of problem with throwing new belts, maybe this idea of working a belt in would work for others in the same situation.

Are all of your belt stops/guides in place if not this could be why you were throwing belts. Or something is not lined up correctly. I have never seen a tight belt get thrown just because it was to tight. If a belt gets thrown there is a usually a mechanical reason for it

You know UCD, I never looked to see if there were any belt stops or guard there, I'm thinking not if I don't remember seeing them. I never had trouble previously with throwing belts, so just never gave it a thought. I'll check tonight when I get home.

Some of the older tractors and decks never had belt stops or belt guides or guards for the cross drive belt, some did have belt guides on the deck. The cross drive belt on your tractor should always remain tight from the spring pulling back on the PTO. The deck does pivot up and down slightly changing belt alignment as you mow, but that is normal, and as you know the belt is also twisted going from the PTO to the mowing deck. A sudden stop of the blades turning will sometimes throw the cross drive belt but I don't know why yours was thrown off.

There are no belt guides on my deck as greg commented on. I think maybe the new belt was just stiff or maybe I was going over some rough ground or some other inponderable. Whatever the reason, the belt is now working fine. One question, I'll probably get it answered in Orange today anyway, but do the belts typically touch the deck cross member. Mine seems to rub Slightly in one spot and has since I bought the tractor.