Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Idiot Light

HubbardRA

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows how to wire a light to indicate discharge on one of the starter/generator setups? I had the diagram at one time, but can't seem to find it. I want to put a charge light on my AC712S project tractor.

You need a two wire light, NOT externally grounded. On wire goes to the accessory terminal of the ignition switch, the other to the ARM or GEN terminal of the regulator or starter/generator. The easiest explanation is that the ARM terminal is the ground for the light until the generator starts charging. When charging starts, you have a live wire to both sides of the lamp, so the lamp goes out. Pat

My Homelite T12 wiring diagram confirms Pat's answer. Per the diagram, the light is wired between the middle terminal of the starter/generator's voltage regulator (assume this is the "arm" terminal, don't have my tractor here to confirm) and the key switch.

Thanks Pat, I knew the voltage balance theory, but just couldn't remember the specific connections to pick up the control voltages. Still trying to get the actual hookup and function of starter/generators straight in my mind. Been playing with cars since a kid, but these units are still a little fuzzy to me, even after reading Al's write-ups.