Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Danger, danger-red alert!

johnmonkey

I was cutting my grass with my 1963 Montgomery Wards gardenmark on 6/25/03 and had the discharge shute going up against a tree. A rock flew out of the mower deck and ricocheted off the tree and hit the top of my glasses (glass lenses not plasic). My glasses shattered and I got 2 or 3 small shards of glass IN MY EYE!!! Luckily the rock hit the top of my glasses frame and it shattered from the top, if the rock hit the center of my glasses then I probably would have gotten large pieces of glass in my eye and I would have had to go to the hospital emergency room. The small shards that got in my eye came out with a little patience and a wadded up tissue that was moistened. The upshot of the deal is WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN MOWING!!!!!! John H B):(

Always trim around the trees and other objects with the discharge pointing out use the other side of the deck to get close. If you hsve to pass close with the discharge look away or at least not direct to it you should have enough side sight to guide you if needed. Glad to hear it was only glasses that were broke and not an EYE LOST OR PERMENTLY DAMAGED!!!!

Yes,glad you are ok.... I always try to mow with the shute away from the objects like someone above said...but safty glasses is really probably the best bet..

Glad to Hear your OK... This is Something that you don't think about and never dream would of happened... but did... and you hate to see someone get hurt to have to read a reminder to be careful.......

Wearing Safety Glasses while running your angle grinder with a disc or wire wheel is also a must. Putting th3em on is not enough either, they need to be slid up tight to your eyes so fragments can't get behind them. Just another safety glasses safety tip....

John, I thought that those things only happened to me. I actually had nearly the same thing happen but I had no glasses at the time and the little rock did hit my eye fortunately there was no permanant damage but boy did it hurt. Safety glasses are a must,and even better make sure the area you are mowing is free of debris before mowing![:0]

I was out of work for eight months and had a couple of surgery's on my eye for damage to my Cornea. Safety glasses are a must.

anybody ever find safety glasses that work well with your regular eyeglasses? I really hate to wear goggles, hence why you look at my glasses and see a bunch of spots burnt into them from using the grinder and the chop saw. My cousin has only one eye from an accident while splitting wood using a sledge hammer and a splitting wedge. Gotta make sure you grind off the top of your chisels where they round out when you sharpen them too.