Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 hot hydraulics

jratajczek

Hello everyone, I have a question about the hydrostatics on my ac 720. The "hot" light on my dashboard lights up after an hour or so of mowing. I have changed the hydraulic fluid and filter a couple of times and I make sure that oil cooler is clear of debris. I recently repowered the tractor with a Kohler 18hp and it runs a lt stronger than the old Onan ever did, but the hydraulics get weak after the tractor gets warm. Any thoughts other than the obvious (low fluid, crimped hoses and the like)? Thanks

Do you have the same air flow over the cooling fins? still have the pan plate on the bottom of the tractor? Any air blockages around the hydro? Just a few things I've found. JP

I agree with JP. If the air flow is less across the cooler with the new motor then the cooling effect of the coil will also be less.

Do you have area between the engine and the oil cooler sealed so that you are pulling air through the oil cooler? It needs to be sealed just as the original Onan was.

Hot hydraulic fluid can be caused by internal leakage past worn or bad seals. In this case, the heat is caused by the friction of the fluid flowing through a small orifice/leak.