Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big dissapointment

BrownA

I recently put together a Johnson Front end loader on a newly aquired AC-B110. I used it for a couple of weeks and then the steering broke. I called Sandy Lake and bought the no longer available part from them used ( great service ). Well I worked on the tractor yesterday and today trying to get ready to bring it to the Orange show. I got it all together today, filled the gas tank, added a kill switch, did a bunch of stuff. I bolted the hood on and started it up to smell a burning smell ( not good ! ). I shut it off and the smell was still coming, I quickly unbolted the hood to find the positive cable from the battery to the start switch had the insulation worn off from rubbing against the steering column and it started to melt. Long story short, new battery cables and problem is gone. But---------When I tried to load my tractor in my dump truck I decided it was not going to happen with the loader and rear weight box on. I was so dissapointed because I really wanted to bring it to Orange and spent so much time getting it ready. I guess it's time to finaly buy a trailer, no more playing games.

If I hadn't spent so much energy getting ready for the show I could have spent it getting the tractor on the dump truck. I did it before with a B210 and a smaller Simplicity. It's tough when your a one man show. I just decided it was not worth breaking the tractor or getting hurt. Definite motivation to buy a trailer.

I feel for you buddy, I have a steep bank here next to the house that works great for loading and unloading into a truck, Is just the right height for a pickup truck, drive straight in. PS: don't send my bad luck back. :) Chris

Trailer advice , take it for what its worth: Don't buy one of those buildong supply store type fold up trailers or similar/ They are too light weight , especially for a loader tractor. I started out with one of those and quickly got rid of it. Buy something with 14"-15" automotive wheels & tires and a angle iron steel framework. A tilt bed is alot safer than using ramps though with some tractor/implement combinations you can lack traction going up the bed. You can also mount a Boat winch to the front of the trailer bed to winch up anything you can't drive up. Mine is 6'x10'. I also have a 6.5'x16' tandem for bigger loads.

BrownA: too bad your so far away. i got a 79 gmc hauler for sale. 17 1/2 ft bed, 5000# ramsey winch. would haul anything you want.been to the east coast 4 times in the last 2 yrs. average trip time of 26 hrs or less.round trip. love to drive:D Buster

I picked up a snowmobile trailer yesterday at a yard sale for $50. I put a new light kit on it this morning, have to get new side markers and I put extra reflectors on it for good measure. I'll weld some tie down points onto the front and rear, too. I'm sure it'll handle one tractor with ease, maybe two if they don't have loaded tires or are the smaller ones like a 725 or that 4210. This one has the tilt feature, too.

quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Trailer advice , take it for what its worth: Don't buy one of those buildong supply store type fold up trailers or similar/ They are too light weight , especially for a loader tractor. I started out with one of those and quickly got rid of it. Buy something with 14"-15" automotive wheels & tires and a angle iron steel framework. A tilt bed is alot safer than using ramps though with some tractor/implement combinations you can lack traction going up the bed. You can also mount a Boat winch to the front of the trailer bed to winch up anything you can't drive up. Mine is 6'x10'. I also have a 6.5'x16' tandem for bigger loads.
Sam, Sounds like you're describing the Tow Bee (6'x10' steel frame tilt bed). > http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/tow-bee.htm I did upgrade my Tow Bee to 15" wheels and installed an electric winch. Had to paint it too...... the yellow clashed with my orange RBTs. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/tow_bee.jpg[/img]

My local tractor Buddy Ed used Tow Bees for years. They run on undersized trailer tires, not 5 bolt car tires. My opinion is that the tow bees/Snoco's ? are kinda tinny compared to what I'm talking about.. I'll try and get a picture of mine up here to look at later...

quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
I picked up a snowmobile trailer yesterday at a yard sale for $50. I put a new light kit on it this morning, have to get new side markers and I put extra reflectors on it for good measure. I'll weld some tie down points onto the front and rear, too. I'm sure it'll handle one tractor with ease, maybe two if they don't have loaded tires or are the smaller ones like a 725 or that 4210. This one has the tilt feature, too. [img]/club2/attach/thedaddycat/Dcp03452.jpg[/img]
Great find for $50.00, and it's already painted AC yellow! You had better luck finding stuff today, then I did. I called an ad in the paper today, that read 42" Snowblade for Allis-Chalmers garden tractor- $75.00 It was already sold, guy also said someone told him, it wasn't an AC it was just painted Cat yellow. oh well, maybe next time.

Aluminum Trailer 5'4" x 10'inside 2200lb capacity with Automotive tires, 5'loading gate 18" loading hight. Made in Hartford Vermont by PAS. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/HB-116%20home1.JPG[/img] This is the load I had on it Sat. Sunstar Vac unit with Simplicity Dunping lawn cart, Simplicity garden kit which included moldboard plow, spring tooth harrows, disc harrows, cultivator, 38" revitilizer, front mount dethatcher. Plus HB-116 with Johnny bucket. A dream to tow [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/UCD/tractor%20show060280304.jpg[/img]

Here is my general purpose trailer. Bought it used for $350. [img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/91/3E/20421265-eb0f-0200011A-.jpg[/img]

I like tandem axles of my trailer, especially if the trailer is more than about 10 feet long. The tow much better with tandems and are much easier on tires and bearings. In fact my 14 footer has electric brakes and 14 inch wheels.