Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deere Engine problems

dieselman

Was in at our deere dealers shop asking about some combine problems and saw a cam sitting on the bench that looked like it was out of a mower. ask what it was for sure and they said it was out of a 400 series (425 445 ext. expct the diesel 455 ) and some 300 series. It was a plactic gear and they striped the teath off. these mowers used the kawicke engine in them. then my uncle was kinda looking at a saber sitting in the shop and one of the shop men said right out they were junk mowers. came out of there with the empreson to stay away from their mowers. they do bild good farm equment though kinda high priced.

Sabers are being built to compete with or be sold at the BIG BOX STORES like Home Depot. JD trying to stay with MTD. They will both are now making throw away tractors. Profit by volume not quality.

That is the sad truth. They don't make 'em like they used too. The sad thing is that companies like Bolens and AC have been eaten up and are either out of the business or are on the same level as MTD. Simp is still out there, but they are hard to find. Same with New Holland (Ford) and Kubota. Great tractors, but finding them and being able to afford them can be a challenge.

quote:
Originally posted by pacodiablo
Great tractors, but finding them and being able to afford them can be a challenge.
Try praying........ maybe a prayer would be answered. :D}:):D

LOL...yeah, god is going to buy me a $4000 Kubota (actually they are probably more expensive than that).

quote:
LOL...yeah, god is going to buy me a $4000 Kubota (actually they are probably more expensive than that).
I didn't say that....... I didn't even suggest that God would buy anything for anybody. That's not the way the deal works. ;) LOL all you want. If a prayer is answered...... then you decide...... a message or meaningless coincidence?

quote:
Originally posted by dutch
quote:
Great tractors, but finding them and being able to afford them can be a challenge.
Try praying........ maybe a prayer would be answered. :D}:):D
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

HEY man praying to the big guy to find what you want,isnt such a bad idea.I wanted my 4041 and loader so bad, i thought i had looked every where for three years, and yes a lot of little prayers.Then when i least expected, there she was about 5 mi from me for sale.SO i do have faith.(Have a good one)--Ron B

quote:
Originally posted by dutch
quote:
I didn't say that....... I didn't even suggest that God would buy anything for anybody. That's not the way the deal works. ;) LOL all you want. If a prayer is answered...... then you decide...... a message or meaningless coincidence?
1) Does god even deal with tractors? 2) Neither one of us will change the others' opinions on religion, so you may as well drop the whole thing. Besides, like you said, if a god exists, it will not be a person who gives the proof.

Time makes all things acceptable!!!!!!!Let's look at autos.1960Chrome plated cast bumpers.1970 Chrome plated stamped bumpers.1980 aluminum dull finished bumper.1990 half aluminum half plastic bumper.2000 ALL PLASTIC BUMPER.It has become quite acceptable.Like government and cancer you don't get the drop in quality in one shot but a piece at a time.

From a Deer engine problem to this. LOL When a 1960 bumper hits a 2003 bumper the 1960 bumper lives to bump another day. The 2003 bumper is trailerd. From a 30 year life span to a 3 year life span. It's progress. The only thing I dont miss is the 1960-70's fade in the corners.(suspension)

I have to agree. Many of the newer vehicles are dissapointments. Integrated plastic bumpers are costly and weak.

The newer cars don't take hits like older cars, but you can walk away from accidents. Older cars can take the hits but you got killed in the process. The hot trend is older cars with fuelinjection, aod trans, 4wheel disc brakes, hot handling pkgs and all the creature comforts of todays cars. P.S. You can pray to God for anything you like. He will give you one of three answers, yes, no or wait

quote:
Originally posted by dieselman
Was in at our deere dealers shop asking about some combine problems and saw a cam sitting on the bench that looked like it was out of a mower. ask what it was for sure and they said it was out of a 400 series (425 445 ext. expct the diesel 455 ) and some 300 series. It was a plactic gear and they striped the teath off. these mowers used the kawicke engine in them. then my uncle was kinda looking at a saber sitting in the shop and one of the shop men said right out they were junk mowers. came out of there with the empreson to stay away from their mowers. they do bild good farm equment though kinda high priced.
You know that there are actually 2 different series of John Deere lawnmowers, don't you??? The Sabres are the cheap ones, and yes they are meant to compete with MTD and Craftsman. The other series, which is the dealer sold ones, are the ones with the traditional quality and value of a true JD tractor, like the GT's, GX's and the X's. Yes the smaller ones are being built on a less "serious" scale than they used to be, but looking at the big picture, in order to stay competitive with Craftsman and MTD, the JD L100 and G100 series had to be launched. Otherwise the Lawn and Garden division might have had to reconsider their existance...... Even though there are many brands of mowers and tractors, maybe MTD should be broken up for monopolizing the industry....... Most all newer mowers/tractors have plastic in them.

The non-Saber/Scotts JD's are now being sold at Home Depot. Honestly I do not like them much. Too much plastic. Not just on the outside, under the hood too. Plastic everywhere. The quality doesn't seem to be there like it used to either. The Troy Bilts, Bolens and Cub Cadets at Lowes all seemed to be of much higher quality and all are MTD built. They had more metal too. The Husquvarnas at Lowes are really nice for rear-engine front-deck tractors. It does seem as though MTD is getting too big though.

I agree with pacodiablo on the Scotts brand about the plastic, however i have one and so far its been a very dependable, and good running engine, it has the 17.5 Kolhar (misspelled) and plenty strong for what i need. The engine is a little nosy when first started but quites downs after a few min. Darryl

My father has had a Sabre hydrostatic garden tractor (20 hp, 60" deck) for about 5 years now, and it has been very reliable and it takes a beating mowing his rough 4.5 acres. I believe JD stopped the Sabre and Scott's line though. Now they are all John Deere at Home Depot and elsewhere. I looked at the Cub Cadets/Troybilt line at Lowes and they still look pretty cheaply made to me. I don't see what the difference between plastic and extremely thin guage sheet metal is anyway.

on large equipment plactic panels seem like a good idea less weight. On small stuff the engine heat and vibration will wow out the fastening points and render the hood a stiff lid that no longer has bolts in it so it will possible float like mine does on the JD 300. The hood on the 7117 is still in perfect shape they were made at the same time. Plastic washers are good for reducing squeeks. plastic has it place but for small tractor hoods, it is a cheap idea.

quote:
Originally posted by srwven
My father has had a Sabre hydrostatic garden tractor (20 hp, 60" deck) for about 5 years now, and it has been very reliable and it takes a beating mowing his rough 4.5 acres. I believe JD stopped the Sabre and Scott's line though. Now they are all John Deere at Home Depot and elsewhere. I looked at the Cub Cadets/Troybilt line at Lowes and they still look pretty cheaply made to me. I don't see what the difference between plastic and extremely thin guage sheet metal is anyway.
Plastic cracks, melts, loses color and falls apart.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by srwven
Plastic cracks, melts, loses color and falls apart.
My father also has a JD 314 from the late 70's, early 80's and the hood is made of plastic and it is still in excellent condition. I believe JD has been using plastic and fiberglass hoods for quite some time with no problems. Previous to this site I owned a pos MTD that used metal for the hood and fenders. However it was so thin that if I leaned on it the wrong way getting onto the trac...er I mean mower it would bend and crease and never would bend back into shape. Give me the JD with plastic (or better yet my simplicity with thick metal).

John Deere fiberglass hoods on the 110's and 112's etc only lasted if you didn't run into anything. I guess I'll have to post some pictures of that later. Quality all depends on where your looking. Many assume that because cubs are sold at lowes that they are junk. I was at a Cub Cadet Dealer a few weeks ago and saw one of the most impressive new garden tractors I've ever seen. It has a cast iron hydrostatic transmission, not available from simplicity, and the deck has more rollers back and front too!! There is even a Hydraulic tiller available and this tractor costs less than a legacy! Its the 3000 series I believe. Still wouldn't trade my B-110 for it though. -Chris

Was it big enough for a back hoe? and a bucket? How wide was the belly mower? I saw a cub cadet that was just about 4 years old at a independant small tractor store This guy said it was his and he was not wanting to sell it nor did he want to tell me how much he paid for it. LOL, He WAS in the tractor parts business. It was an impressive looking piece of equipment and he would have the bucket up with sale adds for his store hanging from it. He was located on a busy street that was dangerous to slow down at times because of heavy truck traffic in the area.

I found my brochure on the 3000 series cubs, no loader or backhoe is shown as available, maybe from an afermarket company, decks available include: 44", 48", 54", and 60". The decks are shaft driven and the largest model has a 23 horse Kohler horizontal shaft engine with 24x10.5 rear tires. They do have larger tractors available but they are diesel compact tractors some 4wd with foriegn engines if I'm correct.

All the mowers I've used with metal hoods have lots of dents and dings in them from bump-ups or dropping something on the hood. The plastic on my John Deere does not have all of the supposed problems you mentioned here, of course it technically is not plastic, it is a polymer. By the way, if you look into plastics technology, there are some plastics that are stronger and less brittle than metal. Metal hoods are nice, but they hold more heat than the plastic does (thanks to Chemistry class). Also the metal will wear out as much, if not, more so than the plastic will. My grandpa's Craftsman made a huge hole out of a small motor mount hole, a welder and some scrap metal solved that. So.....either way, you are going to run into problems later on down the road. No use arguing over what is better, if it breaks, replace it and go on.

Max, I dont think there is an argument just folks speaking to the whats wrong with plastic comment. Interesting comment on the polymer instead of plastic. My hood is intact though it has no point to connect to on the under side of the hood anymore. I got it this way. I suspect vibration caused it. Vibration on metal hoods will cause cracks and fatigue it untill it falls off too. That said . you have to admit that it sure feels tuffer when you slap the hood with a affectionate slap when you come in contact with metal. than with plastic, Or polymer :)