Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
heydeerman

9020 Mechanical problems...Help!

heydeerman
I am having a couple problems with this tractor and could use some advise. 1. It has plenty of engine power but very little torque and is running slow in all gears. I currently have it in 3rd gear and when you take the throttle all the way up and wind out the hydrostat, it is nowhere near top speed. I am also getting stuck on small hills that it used to take easily. I had the fluid changed last year and a new filter installed and I noticed it a little slower after that. What could be causing this??Think the tranny is going out? Here is a question related to the problem. Is the hydro fluid supposed to cover the gears and mechanisms that are visible in the hole where you check the fluid? It is ok on the stick but I can see exposed parts in there. 2. I have oil leaking (I think) on the top of the engine. It was rebuilt last year with all new seals and gaskets. Is there a breather somewhere that needs cleaned? Is there a gasket or seal on the top of the engine that is prone to leaking? Any good advise appreciated.

buster
check your basics. crankcase vent plugged? hooks up to air intake between air filter and carb. air filter plugged? check point gap, wear causing gap to diminish can lead to retarded timing. may seem to run ok but performance suffers. you said fluid and filter were changed. did you use factory filter. lots of comments recently of their being low performing filters causing sluggish hydraulic operation.hope this helps. Buster

buster
forgot the rest of your question. only things on top of engine prone to leak is the fuel pump mounting area and tappet covers or crankcase vent. the gears in the drive unit will be partialy exposed even when fluid level reads full on dipstick. Buster

powermax_paul
quote:
Originally posted by heydeerman
I am having a couple problems with this tractor and could use some advise. 1. It has plenty of engine power but very little torque and is running slow in all gears. I currently have it in 3rd gear and when you take the throttle all the way up and wind out the hydrostat, it is nowhere near top speed. I am also getting stuck on small hills that it used to take easily. I had the fluid changed last year and a new filter installed and I noticed it a little slower after that. What could be causing this??Think the tranny is going out? Here is a question related to the problem. Is the hydro fluid supposed to cover the gears and mechanisms that are visible in the hole where you check the fluid? It is ok on the stick but I can see exposed parts in there. 2. I have oil leaking (I think) on the top of the engine. It was rebuilt last year with all new seals and gaskets. Is there a breather somewhere that needs cleaned? Is there a gasket or seal on the top of the engine that is prone to leaking? Any good advise appreciated.
1. You may have a needle bearing going on your input trunnion shaft on the hydro unit. Does the tractor ground speed slow down when you operate the hydraulic lift while moving in 3rd gear? The oil level in the gearbox shouldn't cover the pto drive gears, but it is drawn up to these parts when the pto is operating. 2. Don't know why you have engine oil on top of the motor. If the breather were plugged, the motor would run like crap. When you check the oil is the cap firmly seated? IE do you have too much oil? Also, are the valve spring covers fastened tightly?

arnoldir
Definetly get a factory filter for the hydro, $11 from Jacks small engines site. My "new" 720 had a Fram Extraguard on the hydro and it could not lift the 3 pt or climb a 4" curb in 1st gear. OEM filter fixed it, of couse now the starter ain't starting but thats another story. Good luck.