Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Rahbas

30" Tiller

Rahbas
I have a Simplicity 6216 with the 30" tiller attachment. I have followed the troubleshooting section in the manual. No matter what I do I cannot get it to till more than a depth of 1 to 2 inches. I live in Ohio and the ground can get hard here. I jacked up the back of the tractor with the tiller attached and there is no binding that would not let it travel deeper into the ground. Has anybody else had trouble with tillers doing this? It seems like it needs to weigh more. Thanks

buster
Rahbas: tiller is going in correct rotation? that said, had a 728 w/tiller that didn't penatrate hard ground well. used a couple barbell weights about 50# worth and left tractor in neutral so till could sit and work its way down. rode brake and as it dug i'd let up and let the tiller push me along. ifs its a small area you might also wait for a good soaking rain or give it a good soaking. Buster

SmilinSam
My experience is that the ground speed is way to high on those lawn tractor frame types with the gear drive trannys. Not much you can do other than what Buster recommended as when you push in on the clutch you also disengage the tiller. Buster, How do you ride the brake given no live power? By using the parking brake?

samson
I have the same trouble, and to date have not been able to correct it. In Wisc. were the soil is loose it seemed to work [fairly] well, but here in NC it won't go down more than 2 inchs. Its a mystery to me.

BillC
One the first pass, the tiller will only go down until the bottom of drive chain case in the center of the tiller hits un-tilled ground. This is why it is best to take half passes. Also, check to see that the lift mechanism is not restricting the tilling depth.

papamerkle
What RPM's is the motor turning? I usually run low RPMs when I till for the first time. I used a Broadmoor with a tiller, a Cub Cadet with a tiller, and my current tiller is a Troy Built. You need a low tine speed for tiller to dig in. Wether ground is plowed or not plow I had the sucsess with a low tine speed. I live in Northwest Ohio.

Rahbas
Buster: I'll try the Flintstone brake and see if that helps. BillC:I will try making half passes never done that yet. I have a question though, I can't see how the drive chain case still won't interfere on half passes. papamerkle: The motor is turning 3/4 to full throttle. I was just going with what the manual said. I will try a slower rpm. Thanks everyone for the help. I will try all these suggestions.

rokon2813
on the first pass the chain case hits solid ground as the tines do not till under the chain case. on half passes it will still hit the ground but in soft previously tilled dirt so it will sink as the tiller digs

JBLACK
Hi just out of past experience, check your lower hitch area I have found on a few different tractors that the tiller wont get past the part that is at the bottom of the hitch, (cant think of correct term)for towing, may stick out just about 1/8" too far and won`t let tiller go down all the way. They were all factory hitches but they varied in length just a little.A saws-all(reciprocating saw)is quite effective. just a thought,John