Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The good, the bad and the MTD.

pacodiablo

Good news: carb is fully repaired and cleaned. I finished it up today. The crack in the hood is holding as well and it is nearly ready for paint. The bad: I still need a valve cover gasket, that screw that is hard to find, and a welder! I figure I can get it done by someone else without breaking my budget. I just need the rust trimmed out and new metal plates welded in. Should not even take an hour. But, as always, something made of plastic has to break. The hood got a new crack right in the middle. It is about 6" long and goes all the way through. Can't wait till I have a welder and some metal so I can say good bye to that plastic.

You could try reinforcing that plastic with thin sheetmetal unserneath and pop riveting the two together. Before you clinch the rivets use a drill slightly larger than the head of the rivet and make a counter sink so that the rivet will be flush or slightly below the surface. Then you can fill the holes with body putty. It will stay on plastic if it has been sanded good and the metal will prevent the flex that can break the putty.

If that's an overhead valve Briggs engine your mystery stud should be a 690227 and the valve cover gasket should be 272475. Both are Briggs parts.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
If that's an overhead valve Briggs engine your mystery stud should be a 690227 and the valve cover gasket should be 272475. Both are Briggs parts.
I went back and looked at your tractor pics and you have an 'L' head engine and the valve cover and breather gasket ia a 27803.

Looks like I will need more than the valve cover gasket. I removed the head today and it was black as tar inside. The piston and valves were coated. The spark plug was also black. It looks like it will need a complete rebuild. That is a lot of work and money, but it should be fun. I bought the POS to have a project anyway. I am actually glad I have to work on the engine now, that means I don't have to deal with the hood that I hate! I have located the oil leak as well. It is between the block and oil sump. I will also need the rubber thing that holds the oil filler neck to the sump.