Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TBOLT

Massey Ferguson 14

TBOLT
I bought this one for the Brinley plows that came with it but it is a neat looking little tractor with a 14 Kohler and brand new starter.The man I bought it from said it ran good and did'nt use any oil but it has'nt been run in a couple years.The engine won't start and a lawnmower mechanic told me it was the compression release spring on the camshaft not letting the engine spin over. would this be a hard thing to fix?I thought I may try to get it going to use in the garden, even though it is the wrong shade of orange. thanks...... ?Tony

JoeJ
Tony, Kohler has some very good books on their engines with exploded drawings and all. You will find it fun and rewarding it you can do it yourself. PLUS, you will have some very good help from in here!! [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

PatRarick
Not real sure of the date of change, but not all Kohler engines had a compression release. They were made with an automatic timing advance first, then switched to a compression release. I would first check and adjust the points. Point adjustment affects timing and can act like a compression release is not working. It is actually "kicking back" problem, rather than a compression release problem. Pat

tractormike
Pat is right as to the ignition timing causing starting problems. I worked at a IH tractor dealership for 7 years and on the cubs with the kohler engine some of the engines wouldn't even start when the points where set at .020. Most of the time you start at .020 and have to adjust them from there to get it to start. After it was running, I would set them " by ear" to get the engine to run the smoothest. Usually at that setting the tractor would start well also but sometimes they would still need to be tweaked a little. While this isn't a technically correct answer it did make them run well. Hope this helps.

Chris727
From what I have heard an MF14 is a very good tractor. I have an MF12 Hydraspeed and an MF7 that I want to fix up. They seem well built but I've never had the 12 running yet and the 7 was a freebie missing the motor. They may not be the same as a Simplicity but they do have anti scalp decks with a full width roller in the back and a front roller too. -Chris

TBOLT
not sure Kenny but theres some good metal there, its a well built little machine.Chris I know where an MF-12 is all took apart. It has a manual tranny I think and one headlight.That looked sorta odd to me but I guess they came that way?I could probably get it cheap but I live a long way from you I suppose.

Chris727
The old massey garden tractors MF7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 were co-produced by Massey Ferguson and AMF from what I understand. The later ones were built by Snapper, Ingersol, and now are built by Simplicity. Tony, South Carolina is too far away for me to buy the whole thing, but might he part it out? -Chris