Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Accessory I never saw before

Boney

When i was at the Orange Mass show I saw an accoessory i never saw before, a guy had an altinator { spelling} with a pully on it and a switch with a wall electrical outlet. hook it up to the PTO and you now have electricity at the flick of a switch, i thought this was real nice, does anyone have any experience with these, or how to make them ? the set up was real clean and looked nice.

Hi, There are some kits for automotive alternators on the market, and have been since the 70s, that switch the regulator and rectifier out and bring the stator leads out. The AC is unregulated and is high frequency AC. The frequency varies with the engine speed. These units can only be used with brush type AC DC motors. These would be like small drills etc. These kits will not work with the newer type automotive alternators. There were also regular power alternators available for the B series tractors that ran off the front of the engine. As I remember they were 4000 watt units. The tractors must be governed at 3600 rpm for these alternators to produce 60 cycle power. At 3000 rpm the power will be 50 cycle and dthe voltage low. Good luck, Al Eden

I have a set up like that and while I haven't been able to make it work it is interestng. I almost brought it on sat but I was running out of room. I'll take some pics this week.

Saw one not that long ago on eBay that was an alternator with a 3 or 4 hp vertical lawn mower engine mounted to it. Idea was to start the engine and use it to charge a car battery. The battery can then be connected to an inverter to provide power. Steve

I know a guy who hooked a 5 Hp B/S to a car alternator to make a portable battery charger for tractors.