Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Boney

700 series help please

Boney
I have the possibility of getting a 700 series maybe 1968 or 1969. it all works comes with snow blower, cutting deck and a reel mower. said it blows a little smoke but not too much, how are these for getting parts for ? is doing the piston/rings a big deal with these ? What should i look for when checking it out, if there is anything specific that goes wrong with this model ? This will be my first tractor for rebuilding so i am trying not to get stuck here by buying a lemon. Thanks all for any help/ suggestion

Chris727
700 as in Allis Chalmers 700 series or as in 700/725 Simplicity? The 700 series Allis Chalmers were from the mid to late 1970's and had Kohler engines, the 700 simplicitys had briggs possibly cheaper to rebuild than Kohler. You should be able to get many parts for the Allis 700 series, and most of the mechanical parts I think for the 700/725 Simplicity. How much do they want for it. If the price is right it could be worth rebuilding, a picture would help. -Chris

Boney
Its a Simplicity 700 the guy says, i have not seen it yet, hope to within the next 2 weeks, he wants $300 for the mower deck, tractor, snow blower and a reel mower, after seeing what another member got for $50 i will definatley be talking him down, thanx for the imput guys i appreciate it :) feel free to give any more input

ReedS
Boney If I'm not mistaken the 700's were manufactured from '59 to '62.I have 2 of them 1 I'm restoring and the other is for parts. I have found that there are quite a few of parts that are nla while any competent machinist shuold be able to repair or duplicate. I have several model 19 engines in varying stages of disrepair should you have the need... The two tractors of mine at Orange were bought for $200 or less although neither were running. Feel free to ask more questions maybe I'll know and then again maybe not!;):p