Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

EZDUZIT

Help Needed Engine !!!

EZDUZIT
I have a blown model 300421 12 HP.Briggs out of my 3212V,I hae been looking forever ,like everyone else to find another that woulld require the least amount of work.I have a friend who has an old pull start generator.He tells me that it is indeed a 12HP briggs,the stampings read 233431-0130-01-650928. My old briggs stampings read 300421-0127-01-7002101.Could this be correct I have searched all over here and cant even find that model or code ?? He tells me it still has the generator attached and that he beleives the drive pulley is tapered.That really doesnt mean a lot to me,I need the opposite side to bolt thr drivesaft to.I will worry later about making a sleeve extender for the drive. Can anyone help me out here ? And if so,will this motor work for me in the application I want to use it in? I am running a 10HP in this old sovereign now,I would like to put a 12 back in her. Thank you again Guys !

KSever
Pete, That would be a 10HP Briggs for sure. Here is the link to B&S for the engine sizes. [url]http://www.briggsandstratton.com/MainSite.asp?CategoryID=7&lrID=1&ParentID=7&MSCSSID=1234&MB=&EPAGE=/main/RealBriggs/WebSite/NA/EN/support_maintenance/sparkplugs.mb&l=0&Letter=1[/url]

EZDUZIT
Kris. Thank You, the 233 in the model threw me off,most 10s I have seen models start with 243.I have it in my possesion,it is an old Montgomery Ward generator.Looks like all it needs is a set of points,& it will be good to go.I want to get it running because I beleive it may have a lot less wear on it then the 10 I have in my Soveriegn now,it should have a 12.Do you agree with me ?If I have to settle for a 10,then it should be one with less use,yes? Thanks Again,Pete

EZDUZIT
Thanks Charlieson.I appreciate the response I already knew that.I also had another question if you please.I can read the Monygomery Ward I D plate just a little,it says that this motor generates 3600 RPM,is that more or less then a 243431,??it is a 233431,or,where do I find that information.Also where can I find a place that will give me years of build on my briggs motors? Or is it the first 2 digits of the code on the motor?,thats what it looks like now that Im looking at a few notes on my motors. Thanks Again, Pete.

Nick
Your right. The code digits that are your date manufacture. This is for ALL B&S engines. Since your code is, 650928 65= YEAR 09= MONTH 28= DAY So your engine was made on September 28, 1965 Hope this helps. ^

thedaddycat
Not exactly..... The data table linked below shows data for month and year of manufacture for the Model 19 and Model 23 engines used in the early tractors. This is based on Serial Number, which is unlike the later "Code" information that can be read directly. http://www.edgeta.org/mdate3.htm

markpogue
Most generator drive engines do have a taper crankshaft because the rotor of the generator is held in place by one long through bolt The taper crank is much shorter most of the time than a standard crank.