Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar

Ryan

Do you really need the swath board rod? It just looks like a accident ready to happen. Trip and fall on it and have the rod go right through you. Dad said I didn't need it unless I was mowing 5' of grass. He made me a new swath board today for the sickle bar. Really ice of him. He made it out of 1" oak. Used the print off of this sight. Thanks, Ryan

I don't see a reason for needing the rod for shorter grass. This year the grass here is so short and sparse due to drought that a swath board doesn't even work. I have dreams about five foot long grass.

Depends on what your doing. If you are mowing a hayfield, as a farmer would, strattaling the windrow you just cut......yes you need it. The board swathes the outside hay cut by the end of the bar inward into the current windrow being cut so when your strattaling the windrow the next cut, the head and pitman are not running in fresh cut hay (running on bare ground) and it plugs up. If your just trimming ditches and fencelines with mostly one pass.........no you don't need it.

Roy, I made the bracket and have marked the holes in a piece of wood to cut out the swathboard for the one you let me have. I haven't made the rod yet.

Yes, thank you Rod. The drawing was very handy. Dad scrapped the first one. cut the 51 degree angle on the wrong side. Kinda funny sinse he has an engineerring degree. He did not see that it did not have a hidden line. Thanks again, Ryan